Need a better shipping solution?
- Date Established
- Palo Alto, CA
- Easy to use
- Numerous templates
- Excellent customer support
- Multilingual sites
- “Personalization rules” are helpful & innovative
- No free plan
- eCommerce tool is sold separately
- Expensive pricing
Duda is an innovative website builder that focuses on meeting the needs of web design agencies and SaaS platforms, though its site builder is well-suited to small- to medium-sized businesses as well. In 2010, Itai Sadan and Amir Glatt, entrepreneurs and devotees of The Big Lebowski, founded a company dedicated to mobile-optimized websites. They named it Duda as an homage to The Dude, so I’m inclined to like Duda right off the bat.
Based in Palo Alto, Duda was named number 185 on Inc. 500’s 2014 list of fastest-growing companies and currently hosts over 16 million websites. Initially just offering DudaMobile, a mobile-only website builder, Duda later launched DudaOne, a responsive site builder for building desktop and mobile sites alike. This product is now simply referred to as Duda. With its clean, fresh presentation and concerted efforts to project cultural values congruent with its intended audience, Duda is a compelling presence in an industry crowded with faceless look-alikes.
Read on to learn more.
Table of Contents
Business Types Supported
Duda’s website builder is marketed as a scalable solution for web design agencies and SaaS platforms. The websites you can create with Duda are well-suited to a wide variety of small business types, though. All you Business Achievers should find a good portion of Duda’s 106 contemporary, mobile-responsive templates to your liking. The templates are sorted into the following categories:
- Online store
- Landing page
- Professional services
- Restaurant & food
- Portfolio & resume
- Lifestyle & health
- Community & education
Duda once offered a free subscription plan, but sadly, the free plan is no more. You can still try out the package for free for 14 days without entering your payment information, but after that, you’ll need to choose one of Duda’s three paid plans. The pricing starts at $14/month, which is a bit pricey for a basic website plan. The pricing shown below is based on an annual plan, though monthly subscriptions are also available (though they are more expensive on a per-month basis).
The Basic plan costs $14/month and includes:
- 1 website
- Additional websites available for $171/year
- Hosted on Amazon Cloud
- Email support
- Website personalization
- HTTPS encryption
- Multi-language website
- App store
- Millions of free and premium images
- Limited content library
The Team plan costs $22/month and includes everything in the Basic plan plus:
- 1 website
- Additional websites available for $117/year
- Email/chat/phone support
- Full content library
- Up to 4 team members
- Unique permissions for each team member
- Team assets
- Fulfillment channel
- White label client access (Custom branding/domain)
- Users & permissions (Client)
- Site comments
- White label stats & analytics
- White label sales & marketing materials
- Limited dynamic pages with internal collections
The Agency plan costs $44/month and includes everything in the previous plans plus:
- 4 websites
- Additional websites available for $99/year
- Priority support
- Up to 10 team members
- Instant websites
- Website export
- Widget builder
- Full dynamic pages with internal collections
- API (Up to 1K API calls per month)
There’s also an Enterprise plan for companies with 100+ websites under management. For pricing details, you’ll have to contact the company for a quote
Duda also offers eCommerce add-ons. You can get an eCommerce add-on no matter which subscription level you have. Here are the details:
Standard eCommerce add-on
- $7.25/month per site
- 100 products
- Filter & sort by keyword, attributes, price range, and category
- Automated discount coupons
- 40+ payment gateways
- Up to 100 MB of digital downloads
- Facebook integration app
- Sell products on Instagram
- Google shopping feeds
- Advanced SEO
- Inventory tracking
- 45 built-in storefront translations
- Multi-currency support
- Gift cards
- Track payment & shipping status
- View abandoned carts
- Low stock notifications
- Advanced data management
- Manually configurable shipping/tax zones, rates & rules
- Realtime shipping quotes for leading carriers (UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc.) without setting account
- Custom tracking code on “thank you” page
Advanced eCommerce add-on
- $19.25/month per site
- 2500 products
- Store management app for Android & iOS
- Automatic tax calculations for US, Canada, UK, EU, & Australia
- Up to 1 GB of digital downloads
- Mailchimp integration
- Sell on Amazon & eBay
- Remarketing with Google Analytics
- Multilingual store
- Stock control for options & product combinations
- Digital download protection
- Fancy product filters
- Recover abandoned carts
Unlimited eCommerce Add-On
- $39/month per site
- Unlimited products
- Square POS
- Up to 10 GB of digital downloads
Duda plans can be paid for using your credit card or PayPal. Sorry, no personal checks.
Ease of Use
If you’ve used website builders before, Duda’s interface should look familiar to you. Options to save your work, publish your site, upgrade your account, and undo/redo edits are laid out in the bar along the top, while options to edit your website are placed in the column along the left side of the screen.
Elements and widgets can be plopped onto your site in classic drag-and-drop fashion. Once placed, these elements can be moved around at will and altered however you like. It’s really a joy to use, and you never feel limited in terms of how you can arrange things.
Hardware & Software Requirements
All that is required of you is a computer, an updated browser, and an idea.
Duda provides its users with a plethora of handy, customizable features. Let’s explore them, shall we?
- Dashboard: Duda’s dashboard gives you easy access to your websites along with your site statistics and account details.
- eCommerce: Duda provides a solid eCommerce package. Duda’s eCommerce setup walkthrough is helpful and thorough, walking you through the shipping and payment options and illuminating your path to an attractive eCommerce site. The end result is a functional and attractive online store for either physical or digital goods. The strength and number of your eCommerce features will depend on which eCommerce subscription add-on you purchased.
- Blog: Duda’s Blog tool will see you creating a basic blog in no time flat. You get some decent options for changing your blog’s layout, and you can even save backup copies of all your blog posts. You can also add whatever element you like into your posts, just as if you were editing one of your pages.
- Personalization Rules: One thing that sets Duda apart is its inclusion of personalization rules. This feature allows you to create elements that appear only when certain conditions are met. For example, you can create a box that plays a video, triggered only to pop up the first time a visitor comes across your site. Alternatively, you can set a special message to display only to repeat visitors to your site. You can also set up a contact page that displays different contact info depending on the time of day (perhaps a “click-to-call” button during business hours and a contact form during non-business hours), or have your bowling alley’s website display a message on Saturday reading “Closed for Shabbos.” It’s a feature that introduces a level of flexibility you don’t always see in a DIY website builder.
- Form Builder: Duda brings a highly customizable contact form to the table. Add as many fields as you want, and customize each one by selecting from ten different field types. Build the contact form of your dreams!
- Image Editor: Duda lets you edit the photos on your site with some basic editing options. Adjust the brightness, add text or stickers, pick a frame, and the like. Compared to many Duda features, it’s fairly rudimentary, but it’s nice to have nonetheless.
- Multilingual Websites: One handy Duda premium feature is the ability to create multilingual websites and add additional languages to your existing website.
Other Duda features include a full set of SEO options, a photo gallery, a YouTube widget, a map from Google Maps, a dining reservations app called OpenTable, social media feeds, a WordPress feed, a restaurant menu, a PayPal button, full HTML/CSS editing in Developer Mode, and more. Overall, Duda is formidably featured, offering a generous package of features for both individuals and small businesses, particularly restaurants.
Web Design & Editing
Duda’s 106 templates aren’t quite as crisp and pretty as those of Squarespace or Wix, but they’re definitely above average. They’re also highly customizable. Most importantly, they’re mobile responsive and will behave nicely on tablets and smartphones.
Duda’s site editor is a flexible tool that can accommodate both newbies and design professionals. It’s simple enough to not overwhelm you if you’re just looking to build a quick website for your business and capable enough to use in a professional capacity. Sadly, there is no mobile editor, though there is a mobile app for eCommerce management.
All Duda sites are fully mobile responsive. You won’t have to worry about how your site displays on smaller screens.
Duda Integrations & Add-Ons
Duda’s small app store features some nice CRM and listing management integrations, but there’s nowhere near the number of add-ons available as you’ll find in, say, Wix’s app market.
Duda Customer Service & Technical Support
For support, Duda offers an extensive knowledge base, email support, and (with at least a Team subscription) live chat or phone support. Many website builders lack phone support, so it’s good to see it included here. In my experience, Duda’s customer service has been helpful and prompt.
Negative Reviews & Complaints
Professional reviewers have a few qualms with Duda:
- No site portability
- Editor can be slow
- Occasional glitchiness
- Few integrations
In reviewing customer feedback, a few users have complained about the usefulness of the customer service. On the whole, however, complaints are few and far between.
Positive Reviews & Testimonials
Duda has received more plaudits than raspberries from reviewers and users alike, who have seen fit to applaud the following:
- Great mobile responsiveness
- Very easy/intuitive to use
- Great personalization features
- Strong eCommerce
- Great white label and CRM features
User reviews of website builders typically span the gamut from pleased to horrified, but Duda’s user reviews are consistently positive to a degree I don’t normally see.
Duda is a real breath of fresh air. With advanced CRM features, eCommerce, and useful personalization features, Duda deserves your consideration as a website builder. Larger eCommerce operations may want to go with something like Shopify instead, but for web design agencies and most types of small businesses, Duda gives you more than enough juice to crank out high-quality websites with a minimum of fuss.
With mobile-responsive templates and a fresh ethos, Duda provides a lot of value, even if the prices are a touch on the high side. For startup businesses, Duda might be just the thing to get your vision out there.
If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
We've done in-depth research on each and confidently recommend them.
We've done in-depth research on each and confidently recommend them.