Looking a fresh pick?
Try FreshBooks For Free
- Date Established
- Good iPad app
- Easy to use
- Excellent customer support
- Unlimited users
- Limited features
- Limited integrations
- Limited mobile apps
Kashoo. It’s not a sneeze noise, it’s accounting software.
Kashoo burst onto the accounting scene in 2008. The company stands behind their software so much that it uses Kashoo for its own accounting, and many members of the Kashoo team use the software for family businesses and side gigs.
We often get asked how the name “Kashoo” came to be for our accounting software. Well, there’s an Olde English saying — “Making your Nut” — that, when translated into “modern speak”, basically means covering your expenses, or another way: making enough cash to cover your expenses. Back in the days when the carnival rode into town, officials would remove the “nut” from a Carnie’s wagon, preventing them from skipping town without paying their expenses owed. So the Carnies had to “make their nut.”
Making Your Nut = Having Enough Cash.
Cashew. Nut. Kashoo.
Inexpensive domain name.
So there you have it. One inexpensive domain name later, and you have Kashoo, a cloud-based program with a beautiful iPad app and excellent customer service. The software is easy to use and offers double-entry accounting with features designed to fit small businesses. The other highlights of Kashoo are an affordable monthly plan and unlimited users.
While the software does get some things right, Kashoo has a long ways to go before being a fully-featured small business accounting solution. The software doesn’t provide estimates or time tracking, and there are limited reports, integrations, and invoice customizations. Additionally, since our last review in 2017, the company hasn’t addressed these issues or seemed to add any new updates — in fact, they’ve actually taken away the Android mobile app.
Despite these drawbacks, Kashoo receives many positive customer reviews from its customers. Users seem to enjoy the simplicity of Kashoo and like that they don’t need an accounting degree to do their bookkeeping. To see whether or not the pros outweigh the cons for your own business, continue reading.
Tired of slow-paying customers? Looking for more consistent cash flow? With invoice financing, it’s possible to get cash for your invoices right away. Learn more about invoice financing in our Merchant’s Guide To Invoice Financing and/or check out two of our favorites: BlueVine and Fundbox.
Table of Contents
Kashoo offers a single pricing plan which includes unlimited users. Payments are made monthly; although, you can receive a discount of two free months of service for paying annually. There is a free 14-day trial. No credit card is required, and you can cancel the plan at any time. Here is an overview of what you get for your money with Kashoo:
- Contact management
- Track income and expenses
- Manage bills
- Items list
- Project management
- Multi-currency support
- Accountant access
- Unlimited users
There are a few extra costs to keep in mind when purchasing Kashoo.
- Payroll: For businesses requiring payroll, Kashoo partners with SurePayroll. Kashoo users get a 20% signup discount with SurePayroll. To give you an idea of cost, a payroll plan for up to 10 users starts at $54.99/month and includes unlimited pay runs, direct deposit, tax filings and payments, and W-2 and 1099 reporting.
- Multiple Companies: Kashoo doesn’t support multiple companies, meaning you’ll have to buy separate subscriptions for each business. However, unlike most other software, Kashoo offers a discount for purchasing multiple subscriptions. You can add multiple businesses at a discounted rate of $13.95/month (saving you $6/month per additional business).
Cloud-Based Or Locally-Installed
Cloud-based. No downloads or installation required.
Hardware & Software Requirements
Since Kashoo is cloud-based software, it is compatible with nearly any device so long as you have internet access. Kashoo recommends the most up-to-date browsers for optimal use.
Kashoo provides a brilliant iPad app. One of the best parts about the Kashoo iPad app is that the app will still function offline during internet outages, and will simply save your data until it can sync back up to the internet. This app works for iPhones as well (9.3+), but there is no longer an Android app available.
Specific Size Of Business
Kashoo gears its software to the needs of small businesses and was “designed for business owners. Not accountants.” The software’s features cover the needs of some small businesses, especially those looking for a basic, easy to use accounting solution with excellent customer support.
However, the software is not ideal for small businesses in need of estimates, time tracking, invoice customizations, or more advanced features like budgeting. Without these features, the software is not scalable or suitable for larger businesses. There also is no cash-basis accounting. For businesses in need of cash-basis accounting or more advanced features, we recommend taking a look at QuickBooks Online instead. Or check out the best accounting programs for small businesses for more options.
Kashoo supports unlimited users. There are basic user permissions available. You can set three different user roles, but there’s no way to control access to individual features. The software is available in over 200 countries. You’ll need a separate subscription for each company you plan on managing with Kashoo, but the company does offer a discount for subsequent accounts.
Ease Of Use
Kahoo is fairly intuitive and easy to use. The software also offers a “getting started” guide when you first set up your account, and you can access the help center or live chat from directly within the software if you need help.
Kashoo offers a decent selection of features. There are a few features missing and some features could be more developed to offer greater functionality, but Kashoo does cover the basics. Here are the features you’ll find with Kashoo:
- Home: Unlike most cloud-based accounting software, Kashoo does not provide a dashboard. The home page is called Income and Expenses and allows you to quickly add new transactions. You can also easily view your account totals on the side of the screen to keep track of your year-to-date spendings and earnings. The software also automatically calculates your net income.
- Invoicing: Kashoo offers very basic invoicing. There’s only one template available and hardly any customization options. Additionally, there is no estimates feature to pair with the invoicing feature, which even the most basic accounting programs and free accounting programs offer. On the bright side, you can create recurring invoices and easily add sales tax rates.
- Contact Management: The contact management feature allows you to save a decent amount of client information, including a default income account and default sales tax rate. You can manage both customers and suppliers in Kashoo.
- Expense Tracking: Kashoo makes it easy to import and track expenses. The mobile app has the capability to capture pictures of receipts. Through Kashoo, you can choose to manually import bank statements by .ofx, .qbo, and .qfx, or you can utilize the live bank feeds feature. The software automatically suggests transaction matches. However, there is no way to set up automatic bank rules. Note: Like almost all software using bank live feeds, Kashoo partners with Yodlee, which may violate some banks’ Terms and Conditions. Consult with your bank to see whether live bank feeds are a good choice for you.
- Bank Reconciliation: You can reconcile your bank accounts in Kashoo.
- Chart Of Accounts: Kashoo provides a traditional, default chart of accounts that can be customized and built upon. There’s no separate fixed assets feature, but you can manage fixed assets and their depreciation using the chart of accounts and journal entries.
- Accounts Payable: The accounts payable section is well set up. You can add bills with ease, set recurring bills, and easily view unpaid bills.
- Items List: Kashoo offers a basic items list so you can track the items you sell and buy. While you can add a “buy price,” there’s no way to track inventory levels within the software. You can add SKUs which is an addition even some advanced accounting programs don’t provide.
- Project Management: Kashoo has a very basic project management feature. You can create projects, add project descriptions, and attach projects to invoices, but that’s about it. There are no tasks, no way to attach expenses or time to projects, and you can’t even attach a customer name to the project either.
- Reports: Kashoo only offers eight reports. While the software does cover the main accounting reports, the selection could be improved.
- Journal Entries: You can create journal entries and make journal adjustments.
- Sales Orders: You can mark invoices and bills as sales orders.
- Purchase Orders: You can mark invoices and bills as purchase orders as well.
- Refunds: You can easily create refunds in Kashoo.
- Sales Tax: Kashoo offers a strong sales tax feature. You can set as many sales tax options as you’d like. There are advanced settings which allow you to set a description and assign default receivable, payable, and expense accounts. You can also set default sales tax rates for both clients and items.
- Multiple Currencies: Kashoo is compatible with 160 different currencies.
- Importing & Exporting: You can easily import your chart of accounts, contacts, opening balances, and payroll via .xls or .csv. Bank statements are imported via .ofx, .qbo, or .qfx. You can export data via .xls, .csv, .xml, and .iff. Reports can also be exported as .pdf or HTML files.
Customer Service & Support
One of the most common praises users have about Kashoo is its customer support.
Kashoo has some of the best free customer support I have ever seen, particularly in terms of their email support. I was having an issue importing a .xsl file into Kashoo, so I sent the file to Kashoo to see what the problem was. Not only did they explain the problem, but the representative also went above and beyond. He took all of my file information and created a completely new, working file for me — without me even having to ask. Phone representatives were also incredibly well-informed and kind. Their chat support has improved significantly since our last review with much quicker response times. To top it off, Kashoo offers several other great learning resources for users as well.
Kashoo representatives can be reached from 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM PT. Here are all of the ways you can get in touch with Kashoo support:
- Phone: You can call Kashoo for support.
- Email: You can contact Kashoo by email. Replies take anywhere from a few minutes to a day.
- Live Chat: Chat features can be found both in the Kashoo software and on their website. Responses usually take a matter of minutes during business hours.
- In-Software Help: You can access both the live chat and help center directly from within the software.
- Help Center: Kashoo has an extensive help center that is generally easy to utilize and hosts many how-to articles.
- YouTube: It couldn’t be all rainbows and butterflies with Kashoo support. The company’s YouTube channel is limited. It only has a small collection of videos and many are outdated.
- Workshops: Kashoo hosts regular workshops that you can join to learn more about accounting and maximizing your Kashoo software.
- Kashoo Guides: Kashoo has a collection of guides covering topics like getting started, accounting 101, and the principals of accounting.
- Accounting Basics: In addition to the guides, Kashoo offers a database with helpful articles covering basic accounting terms and concepts.
- Blog: Kashoo has a blog called “Know and Grow Your Business,” which features tons of educational business advice articles.
- Social Media: Kashoo maintains Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn accounts.
Negative Reviews & Complaints
On the whole, Kashoo’s reviews are incredibly positive, but people do bring up a few issues and sore spots.
- No Android App: When we previously reviewed the software, there were many complaints about the Android apps, but I’m not convinced that deleting it entirely was the answer. Many users complain about the lack of an Android app.
- Lacking Features: A few users request additional features like invoice customizations, inventory, invoice reminders, and more reporting.
- Not Scalable: A couple of users note that while they loved Kashoo, they outgrew the software and had to move on to a new accounting platform.
Positive Reviews & Testimonials
The majority of Kashoo reviews are very positive and the company ranks well on review sites. Kashoo receives 4.9/5 stars on G2 Crowd (based on 14 reviews) and 4.5/5 stars on Capterra (based on 90 reviews). The mobile app also receives 4.2/5 stars on iTunes (based on 45 ratings). For more information about the user experience, there’s a collection of customer stories on Kashoo’s website as well.
Here are some of the most common points of praise:
- Easy to Use: The most common praise by far is how easy the software is to use. Many customers appreciate that the software doesn’t require a background in accounting to understand and use the software.
- Good Customer Service: Many Kashoo users report positive customer service experiences, and several users had experiences similar to mine and praise the customer service for going above and beyond the call of duty.
- Mobile & Affordable: Others love the mobility and affordability of Kashoo’s single pricing plan.
Here is what some customers are saying:
It is easy to use, easy to share with my accountant, and mobile-friendly. What’s not to love? This is the first accounting software I’ve used that isn’t overly complicated for me while being complicated enough for my accountant.
I love Kashoo and have been with them since 2011. The system follows basic accounting principles. The charm of this web app is that it is simple, easy and yet versatile enough that you can make complex transactions clean while still keeping people accountable.
I used Kashoo for two or three years and then dropped it for a year for a more simplistic approach. That was a mistake. I decided to return to Kashoo and start with a fresh account. They couldn’t have been more helpful.
Integrations & Add-Ons
Kashoo has a grand total of four integrations, which is actually two less than our last review. You’ll only find integrations with Square, Stripe, BluePay, and FreshBooks Classic. API is available for developers.
Interested in accepting online payments from your customers? Read our comprehensive merchant account reviews to learn the pros and cons of popular providers and see which payment processing option is best for your business.
Kashoo takes security seriously, offering SSL encryption, security scanning, firewalls, and physical measures such as 24×7 monitoring, security cameras, and biometric scanning. Data is stored in undisclosed locations for added security and is regularly backed up. The company also advises users that:
The last component of protecting your data from unauthorized access we must leave to you — please choose a strong password! The most common means by which data is compromised is by using an obvious or easy to guess password.
For more information on how to keep your accounting data safe, read our post on cloud security. And for more information on Kashoo’s security, visit their website or contact the company directly.
Overall, Kashoo is easy to navigate and offers double-entry accounting, basic features, and a nice mobile app. There’s an affordable monthly payment for businesses that includes unlimited users, and Kashoo’s customer support is some of the best there is.
The main drawback with Kashoo is the limited feature set. There’s no estimates feature, time tracking, or dashboard. There are limited reports, limited invoice templates and customizations, limited project management, limited user permissions, and limited inventory functionality. There are also hardly any integrations available. For businesses looking for basic features, this may not be an issue — especially if you value customer support over advanced features — but I’d recommend taking a look at all of your accounting software options before committing to Kashoo. Take advantage of their free 30-day trial and let us know what you think!
We've done in-depth testing of each and confidently recommend them.
We've done in-depth testing of each and confidently recommend them.