- Great customer service
- Diverse feature set
- Good mobile apps
- Steep learning curve
- Poor invoicing features
Imagine a world where contractors and other service industry workers manage a complex conglomeration of notebooks, radio dispatches, and half-remembered conversations. Customers are in the dark as to when technicians will arrive, and the techs themselves struggle to stay on top of the shifting morass that is their daily schedule. Now look away from this nightmarish scenario towards the vision that is ServiceTitan. What bliss! Customers receive updates from techs, the techs themselves get full access to customer histories, and everyone from start to finish has perfect information with which to do their jobs. From accepting calls to creating service jobs to getting updates from the field and even creating marketing campaigns, ServiceTitan can do it all.
So how good is ServiceTitan at what it does? Let’s find out.
Table of Contents
Web-Based (SaaS) Or On-Premise
ServiceTitan is web-based and does not need to be downloaded or updated.
ServiceTitan does not provide pricing online.
Ease Of Use
Unfortunately, I was unable to get any firsthand experience using ServiceTitan. There is no free trial, so getting your hands on the actual app without buying is not easy. However, based on customer reviews, I get the sense that ServiceTitan is at once easy to use and difficult to learn. This should be expected since ServiceTitan can do so many different things. It is only natural that something so complex would take time to get used to. However, with good design, it can still be easy to use.
Customer Service & Support
ServiceTitan’s blog is the usual array of product tips business management articles, and product announcements, and more. For me, blogs are rarely all that helpful when trying to solve a problem in software. On the other hand, blogs can be very useful in learning about recent updates to your app. As with much in life, context is everything.
Unfortunately, ServiceTitan does not offer any other self-service customer support options. There is no public knowledge base with which you can troubleshoot and learn about the capabilities of the software — something that is very much standard practice in other parts of the Project Management industry. Fortunately, if you do a little digging (and some quick Googling), you may stumble across the ServiceTitan YouTube channel, which hosts a couple of tutorials, company announcements, and what appear to be at least weekly videos.
I used this channel extensively to write this review, and the content there does give you a good sense of what ServiceTitan can do. It is a shame, then, that the channel is so minimally referenced on the ServiceTitan website itself.
Negative Reviews & Complaints
While most reviews of ServiceTitan are positive in nature, I was able to identify a few consistent complaints, which I describe below:
- Non-Intuitive Reports: Several user reviews I found pointed to custom reports as the least intuitive aspect of ServiceTitan
- Need More Sales Features: Most ServiceTitan features seem focused on either field technicians or customer service reps. I saw several customers wishing there were more dedicated sales features available.
- Learning Curve: With an app as far-reaching as ServiceTitan, it is inevitable that the first few days, weeks, or even months using it would be difficult. Given time, though, I think most will come to grips with the software.
Positive Reviews & Testimonials
Here are some excerpts from positive reviews by satisfied customers:
“Service Titan is so user friendly and simplistic to use, dispute all of the amazing information it provides, it is perfect for anyone no matter what their ability is with technology.”
“Ease of use, Dashboard Revenue Tracking, Multi-tasking, Customer Experience, ServiceTitan is constantly working to improve and develop the platform. The technical support in resolving issues is easy, fast and responsive.”
“We are a growing Plumbing & HVAC company and we were looking for solutions to be more in line with today’s digital world. We love the call booking and dispatch notifications to customers. It allows customer’s to know exactly when to expect their technician. Our CSR and Dispatch love the incoming call information for existing customer’s that pre-populates for them, it allows us to give a personal touch when answering the phone and gives the customer a great experience.”
“This product does not do everything that we would like it to do. But in order to do that we would be spending an exuberant amount of money to have our own software developed. Also note that we are not your typical home service provider. We are a plumbing company that provides everything from minor repairs on up to plumbing a multi-million dollar high-rise project. And the things it doesn’t do has just forced us to find better ways of doing things. Service Titan also works hard to develop their product based on customer feedback. We have been with Service Titan for a short time now and already two of my suggestions have been made a reality.”
“As a plumbing service company, this product covers everything you need to implement a high quality, fully functioning, well rounded service company. The tracking and reporting of every detail is impecable, and they are always making things better. When tracking is so easy, figuring out what works and what doesn’t work becomes easier too and profits can begin to soar! The ease of use and functionality of this product and its support staff is second to none!”
“We really like that we are able to incorporate our flat rate book into the software and make updates anytime we need. We also really enjoy how easy it is to dispatch efficiently with the great mapping system. We save time and money knowing where our calls are located and based on emergency level we are able to efficiently dispatch our technicians to make it more efficient for our company but also make sure we are taking care of our customers.”
Whether you use ServiceTitan as the basis for your business as an electrician, plumber, HVAC technician, or other, you will interact with the same basic set of features:
- Marketing: This feature allows you to create marketing campaigns, determine where your ads should be shown, and monitor them as they go live. You get data insights about who is seeing your ads, including geographic information.
- Call Booking: This is one of my favorite things that ServiceTitan offers. When a customer calls in, ServiceTitan pulls up their entire history, automatically filling in their information and prior interactions for you. This, of course, allows you to interact with customers on a higher level, armed with enough information to make them feel heard. This is how good customer service is done!
- Dispatching: Described as “intelligent,” ServiceTitan’s dispatching software is not automated like some I have seen, but is easy to manipulate and understand, allowing you to quickly schedule technicians and get them out to locations.
- Reporting: ServiceTitan’s reporting gives you an overview of your whole business with the reporting dashboard. You can see the ratio of open tickets to closed, jobs in progress, and more. From there, you can drill down to get insights into individual technicians and customer service reps.
- Mobile: Designed for technicians in the field, ServiceTitan’s mobile app imports call information from the call booking systems, then gives technicians the directions for how to plot their routes to the location of the call. From there, techs can upload photographs of their work, file paperwork, and so on.
Integrations & Add-ons
ServiceTitan offers a number of integrations and “partnerships” through their online marketplace. Here are a few highlights from the many available integrations:
- Busy Bee
- Nationwide Inbound
- Profit Rhino
- Green Sky
- Sage Intacct
Committed to taking security seriously, ServiceTitan has a system whereby you can report security flaws should you identify them. You can access this system through the website.
Without the opportunity to actually use the app, and with a dearth of pricing information, it is hard for me to say whether I recommend ServiceTitan or not. This is clearly useful software that streamlines many processes in the lives of your average contractor. For that reason, I tend to think it is worth a closer look.
However, with no free trial or pricing, you will have to decide how invested you are in a solution like this. Let us know what you think, should you choose to dive in!