XPS Ship Review
XPS shipping software is a web-based, multi-carrier shipping solution that integrates seamlessly with many eCommerce stores. Is it right for your business?
- Unlimited free plan
- eCommerce integrations
- Multi-channel support
- Multiple shipping partners
- International shipping support
- Markups on shipping rates
- Limited customization
XPS Ship Overview
XPS Ship is shipping software designed for eCommerce.
If you’re selling online and looking to automate shipping processes, make shipping easier, and save some money while you’re at it, you may want to consider becoming an XPS shipper. Keep reading our XPS Shipping review to find out if this is the software you’ve been looking for.
XPS shipping software is a web-based, multi-carrier shipping solution that integrates seamlessly with many eCommerce stores. With no user fees to worry about, you can use XPS to save time and money without any bite into your budget. XPS Ship supports domestic and international shipping and allows users to partner with trusted shippers like USPS, UPS, FedEx, DLH, and more to get packages to customers quickly and economically.
With an unlimited free plan, telephone support, and mostly positive XPS Ship reviews from users, there’s a lot to like about this software. In this XPS Ship review, we’ll dig deeper into this software’s pricing, features, ease of use, and other factors to help you decide if XPS can deliver what you’re looking for in shipping software for your eCommerce shop.
Table of Contents
XPS Ship Pricing
|XPS Ship Plans||Price||When To Use|
|Unlimited Free Plan||$0||XPS Ship is free web-based shipping software, with no fees associated with its use|
XPS Ship pricing couldn’t be simpler: There’s only one plan, and it’s free.
You’ll pay $0 to use XPS shipping in your eCommerce store, no matter how big your store, how many sales channels you’re active on, how much you ship, or how you ship it.
This unlimited free plan includes unlimited shipments, unlimited stores, and unlimited channels.
The only charges we could find referenced were credit card surcharges from users who found themselves unable to pay for postage with ACH payments. XPS Ship explained that ACH options are removed from customer accounts only when payments bounce. In such cases, XPS Ship reps expressed willingness to work with customers to re-enable ACH payments to avoid credit card fees.
Since XPS Ship is free to use, it’s natural to wonder how the company makes money. The answer seems to be markups on discounted shipping rates. So, while XPS Ship customers will still be able to access discounted shipping, it might not be the cheapest around. The company is not fully transparent about its postage costs, but does promise savings “up to” the amounts in these examples:
- USPS Priority Mail Cubic: Save up to 90%, with $100 insurance included
- USPS Priority Mail: Save up to 40%, with $100 insurance included
- USPS First Class Package: Save up to 59%
- USPS Parcel Select Ground: Save up to 41%
For more specific information on shipping costs, check out the XPS shipping rates calculator online.
Ease Of Use
By all accounts, XPS Ship is extremely easy to use.
You can sign up online for a free live demo if you want to test the software yourself. You’ll need to provide your company name and contact information first.
Users post many comments on review sites extolling XPS Ship’s ease of use. We found the dashboard to be clean and intuitive, with all operations easy to find and use, and because orders import automatically from an integrated online store, we think anyone who is comfortable working online will have little difficulty getting used to using XPS Ship.
XPS Ship Features
XPS Ship is web-based shipping software that delivers an ample range of shipping features despite this software’s $0 price tag. Here’s a summary of the features and tools you’ll gain access to when you open an XPS Ship account:
- Dashboard: While it’s not flashy or colorful, the XPS Ship dashboard is neat, orderly, and easy to navigate.
- Shipping: You can access discounted rates on domestic and international shipping from USPS Priority Mail, Express Mail, and International rates. You’ll also be able to compare rates between UPS, FedEx, and USPS and choose the method that makes the best sense for your packages. Multiple users can access your XPS account, making it suitable for larger businesses or those with multiple product lines or locations. You can create shipping automation rules, including set weight and dimensions for packages, or enter information manually. You can also use an integrated scale for accurate weights or for custom package sizes. XPS Ship users can also access Priority Mail Cubic pricing for packages weighing between 1-20 pounds. Set up automation rules to select service and package types for incoming orders.
- Multi-Channel Sync: XPS Ship is a multi-channel shipping solution. That means you can use the built-in eCommerce integrations to link XPS Ship with your online store, managing all your shipping needs from a single login and user interface. You’ll find integrations available for many top eCommerce platforms. XPS Ship also integrates with marketplaces like Amazon, eBay, Walmart, and Etsy.
- Shipment Tracking: You can monitor your orders’ status and track updates right from your dashboard, all from a single page. Integrate shipment tracking with your eCommerce platform, and your customers will receive confirmations automatically. Tracking information is sent in real-time.
- Order Management: You can use XPS Ship to batch print labels, efficiently pulling together orders from all your sales channels and departments or locations. Create packing slips and SCAN forms for orders, too.
- Dropshipping: XPS Ship supports dropshipping. To dropship, you’ll simply need to set up your account so it can use a different return address than the sender.
- Reports: Run XPS Ship’s shipping cost report to view a breakdown of how much each product costs to ship and your profit for each item.
- Shipping Labels: XPS Ship allows users to print shipping labels on any standard document printer or use a label printer for 4×6 or 4×8 labels. You can reprint shipping labels, batch print, share a label via email, print prepaid return labels, and more. Import customer information to your XPS Ship address book.
- International Shipping: Access international shipping options from USPS and more, at discounted rates. You can also access and print integrated customs forms.
XPS Ship Customer Service & Support
|XPS Ship Support||Availability|
|Dedicated Support Representative|
|Knowledge Base or Help Center|
|Videos & Tutorials|
XPS Ship rates highly in the customer support category, with a good array of support options and good reviews from users who have had reasons to use those options. That’s somewhat surprising with shipping software in general and certainly for free software in almost any category. Here are the ways you can access XPS Ship support:
- Phone: XPS Ship representatives are available by phone Monday through Friday from 7 AM to 6 PM, MST.
- Contact Form
- Live Chat
- Videos: You’ll find an excellent array of helpful videos on the XPS shipping website and on its YouTube channel.
- Social Media: XPS Ship has accounts on Facebook and Twitter, but does not seem to be active on either site.
XPS Ship Reviews
Although XPS shipping is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau, the BBB does maintain a profile for the company with an A+ rating. However, you won’t find a lot of comments and reviews from users there. On the rating site Capterra, there are 238 XPS shipping reviews, with a 4.7/5 star composite rating. Customer service, in particular, is rated 4.7/5 stars.
Let’s see what XPS Ship reviews by users have to say!
Negative XPS Ship Reviews & Complaints
While users seem generally satisfied overall with XPS Ship, a few comments did surface more than once. Here’s a sampling:
- Slow Software: Several users commented that it can take a while for searches and queries to process and for XPS Ship fields to populate.
- Postage Adjustments: Some users have had after-the-fact adjustments to their USPS shipping costs.
- Lack Of Customization: While you can make some changes to the look of your labels, your choices will be limited.
- High Shipping Costs: Some users noted that they’ve found cheaper rates elsewhere.
Positive XPS Ship Reviews & Testimonials
It’s easy to find positive reviews of XPS Ship. For example, we looked into one eCommerce integration and found that Shopify users are satisfied with their XPS shipping experience. One Shopify store owner called XPS Ship “probably the best shipping app on Shopify,” and added, “I’ve tried about 4.”
Here are some of the positives XPS Ship customers call out online:
- Responsive Customer Service: Even when complaining about problems with XPS Ship, some users compliment the support they receive. Customers especially seem to appreciate the live support options, including phone support.
- Easy To Use: It’s not just that XPS Ship software itself is easy to use. Customers say that it’s easy to integrate with their eCommerce stores and that it works well for them. “It is easy to work, and I am not computer savvy,” one user said.
- Multi-Channel Support: Users who sell from multiple locations, like an online store and a marketplace such as Etsy, say that XPS works well. Bringing all sales channels into one admin takes a lot of the hassle out of address verification, printing labels and packing lists, and more.
- Multiple Shipping Options: XPS Ship users like that they can see and compare rates from multiple carriers. Cubic pricing from USPS is an especially economical option that not all shipping software works with, so it’s nice to see that XPS customers can access this option.
XPS Ship Integrations & Add-Ons
Integrations are one of XPS shipping’s strong suits. You can integrate XPS with 20 online store platforms, then import incoming orders, print labels, compare shipping rates, and more. You’ll find a good mix of top names, like WooCommerce, BigCommerce, Shopify, Shift4Shop, and Etsy, as well as some worthy smaller players like Zen Cart, PrestaShop, and OpenCart. Or, if you’re selling subscriptions, you may be interested in XPS’s integration with Cratejoy.
You’ll find some other useful integrations with XPS shipping, including marketplaces like Amazon and eBay. Other integrations, like PayPal, Cin7, and NetSuite, can support different areas of your business. You can also integrate with your preferred shippers’ software. Overall, XPS shipping offers a good array of integrations – especially, again, for software that is free to use.
However, if you don’t see what you need, you may be able to use XPS Ship’s RESTful API to synchronize shipping with your warehouse management system, ERP, or custom website.
Unfortunately, there wasn’t a lot of detail in that policy. I did learn that XPS shipping has a firm no spam policy. After a little digging, I did learn that XPS parent company Descartes Systems Group has an A rating on UpGuard, with standard security measures. UpGuard notes that Descartes does not have DNSSEC enabled, and the DMARC policy may be lacking in security. It’s noteworthy that after reading dozens of user reviews on multiple sites, I did not encounter any complaints about breaches in data security.
Final Verdict Of XPS Shipping Software
At Merchant Maverick, we are big fans of shipping software, believing shipping software can simplify shipping and deliver advantages that save you time, money, and headaches. However, the relatively high cost of some shipping software subscriptions means that smaller shippers especially will have to weigh the costs and benefits when they consider what shipping software will be best for them.
That’s why it’s refreshing to see a robust shipping software like XPS Ship that comes with a very user-friendly price tag of $0. And, according to our criteria for rating shipping software, XPS Ship will be a good choice for many online sellers.
In fact, we included XPS shipping on our list of the best shipping software for small businesses.
We do think that XPS might work best for small to mid-sized companies, especially those with multiple sales channels. If you’re tired of compiling orders from your online store and all the marketplaces your customers shop, you could look a long time before you find a shipping solution as robust as XPS Ship, especially at the price.
We've done in-depth research on each and confidently recommend them.
We've done in-depth research on each and confidently recommend them.