The Complete Guide To FreshBooks Pricing
FreshBooks frequently runs specials for new customers, and if you want to try before you buy, a 30-day free trial is available.
Finding the perfect accounting software for your small business is exhausting. Even after you narrow your choices down to a few, making that final choice can be difficult. And even when you think you’ve found the perfect accounting software, you still have to answer the questions: which plan is right for you, and how much is it going to cost your business?
If FreshBooks is at the top of your list, it’s no surprise — many small business owners turn to FreshBooks for balancing the books. It’s easy to use, has a solid set of features, and has excellent customer support. But how much is it going to cost your business?
In this post, we’ll break down the pricing of FreshBooks, from the cost of each plan to add-ons.
Then, we can help you determine which plan is best for your business. Read on!
Table of Contents
How Much Does FreshBooks Cost?
FreshBooks accounting software starts at $15/month. There are three additional plans available. More expensive plans include more features and additional billable clients. Payroll, additional users, and Advanced Payments can be added to your plan for an additional monthly fee.
FreshBooks frequently runs specials for its new customers, so make sure to check the website for any current deals. If you want to try before you buy, a 30-day free trial is available — no credit card required. FreshBooks also offers a 30-day guarantee, allowing you to receive a full refund if you cancel your plan within the first 30 days of signing up.
FreshBooks Pricing Plans Explained
|FreshBooks Select||Contact FreshBooks for a quote|
FreshBooks has four plans to choose from. All plans include most of the basic features you’d expect from accounting software. The more expensive plans have more advanced features and reporting. You can purchase a month-to-month plan with no contract or pay for a year upfront for additional savings.
FreshBooks Lite Plan
The FreshBooks Lite Plan is priced at $15/month, or you can save by signing up for the annual plan for $180/year. One user is included in this price, although additional team members can be added for a fee. Features of the FreshBooks Lite Plan include:
- Unlimited invoicing for up to 5 clients
- Recurring invoices
- Automated late payment reminders
- Expense tracking
- Client portal
- Basic reports
- Credit card & ACH payments
- Checkout links
- Time tracking
- Mileage tracking
- Project management
- Mobile apps
FreshBooks Plus Plan
If you have more clients or need more extensive reporting, FreshBooks Plus is available for $25/month or $300/year. FreshBooks Plus supports one user (although additional team members can be added for a fee) and includes everything from FreshBooks Lite, plus:
- Unlimited invoicing for up to 50 clients
- Bank reconciliation
- Double-entry accounting reports
- Accountant access
FreshBooks Premium Plan
If you want all FreshBooks features with no limitations, sign up for FreshBooks Select. This plan is priced at $50/month or $600/year. This plan is for one user and includes all the features from FreshBooks Plus, in addition to:
- Unlimited invoicing for unlimited clients
- Custom email templates & signatures
- Automated client emails
- Project profitability tracking
- Accounts payable
FreshBooks Select Plan
FreshBooks Select is a custom solution for businesses with complex accounting needs. Contact FreshBooks for a quote for the Select Plan, which includes two users and all features from FreshBooks Premium, plus:
- Lower credit card & ACH processing fees
- Dedicated account manager
- Custom onboarding services
- Advanced Payments
- Data migration
Extra FreshBooks Fees & Add-Ons
- Advanced Payments: The Advanced Payments add-on from FreshBooks allows you to take in-person and over-the-phone payments, set up recurring payments, or create subscription-based billing. Advanced Payments can be added to your plan for an additional $20/month. You will also pay 3.5% + $0.30 per transaction.
- Team Members: Additional users can be added to your FreshBooks plan for $10/month per person.
- Gusto Payroll: FreshBooks doesn’t have built-in payroll but it does seamlessly integrate with Gusto for all your payroll needs. Gusto pricing starts at $39/month plus $6/month per employee.
How Each FreshBooks Plan Compares
FreshBooks plans are best suited for small businesses. FreshBooks Lite and FreshBooks Plus are most suitable for smaller businesses with few clients or even freelancers. FreshBooks Premium will add a few more features and allow invoicing for multiple clients. If you want a more customized option with personalized support, you might consider shelling out more money for FreshBooks Select.
Here’s a breakdown of some of the most notable features across FreshBooks’ four pricing plans:
|Invoicing||Up to 5 clients||Up to 50 clients||Unlimited||Unlimited|
Which FreshBooks Plan Is Right For Me?
You can choose the right FreshBooks plan by looking at the size of your business, as well as your own accounting needs. For instance, a freelancer that doesn’t need extensive reporting or advanced features and has just a few clients may find the FreshBooks Lite Plan to be a great fit. Larger, growing businesses with more complex needs would require a higher-tier plan. If you’re still unsure of which plan is right for your business, take FreshBooks for a 30-day test run to find the best fit.
Choose FreshBooks Lite If…
- Your business has basic accounting needs
- You’re a freelancer or sole proprietor
- You operate a small business with five or fewer clients
Choose FreshBooks Plus If…
- You operate a small business with 50 or fewer clients
- You need an easy way to create unlimited invoices, estimates, retainers, and proposals
- Your business needs more advanced reporting
Choose FreshBooks Premium If…
- You own a small business with multiple clients
- You want access to features like accounts payable and project profitability
- You want software with more automations and customization options
Choose FreshBooks Select If…
- You operate a growing business with numerous clients
- You want a custom accounting solution that’s tailored to your small business
- You want personalized help from a dedicated account manager
- You need assistance with data migration from other accounting software
The Bottom Line: Is FreshBooks Worth It?
FreshBooks has a huge following among small business owners for its easy-to-use accounting software. While it isn’t quite as robust as other business accounting solutions like Xero or QuickBooks, it does have a solid set of features to tackle most accounting tasks and is backed with excellent customer support — something you don’t find with most accounting software.
For freelancers or very small businesses, the FreshBooks Lite plan has a decent of features and an affordable monthly cost. However, as you go up the pricing tiers, you’ll see that few additional features are added as the costs continue to increase. FreshBooks also includes just one user, so adding multiple users can further increase costs. Some users may also be disappointed to find that some basic features such as proposals and accounts payable are only available on more expensive plans. Add in additional charges for payroll and payments, and your monthly fee can get quite expensive.
Depending on the features you want and the number of users you have, you might want to compare prices and features across other accounting software to make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck. Larger businesses with very complex accounting needs and multiple users may want to look elsewhere. However, smaller businesses that want a simple accounting solution may find everything they need with FreshBooks.
If you’re still on the fence, sign up for a 30-day FreshBooks trial and try it out before you commit. Also, be sure to check out our accounting software reviews to find other accounting solutions that may be a good fit for your business. Good luck!