5 Reasons Why You Need A Salon POS System
If you are running a salon or nail studio, you might need a specific POS system to work with your business goals. Discover how to choose the best option.
While it’s true, that the best POS systems for small businesses will work just fine for your spa, salon, or other service-based business, there are some features you’ll be lacking if you choose a more generic system.
The best salon-specific POS software will offer robust scheduling features, automatically updating salon-wide calendars, inventory management for backstock and retail, and customer relationship tools.
Table of Contents
What Is A Salon-Specific POS System?
When paired with a credit card reader or register, a salon-specific POS system allows business owners to manage the administrative portions of their business. These systems can help you book clients, help people make multiple bookings, manage specific inventory in your stock, and take multiple forms of payment. Each is tailored to the specific needs of this business niche.
Why Do You Need A Salon POS System?
So, why do you need a salon-specific POS system? Well, this is the million-dollar question!
But really, why you need a niche-specific POS is going to come down to 5 major factors:
How To Choose A Salon POS System
Here are some things to consider and questions to ask yourself as you start to think about the type of POS system best for your business.
- Pricing: What are you willing to pay each month for your POS system? Are you able to afford paid add-ons and integrations?
- Salon POS integrations: Are salon features built-in to the POS system you’re considering? Or are they third-party apps that require specific salon POS integrations (which could cost extra)? Do you need booking integrations or inventory integrations? Is it more important that people book online?
- Ease of use: Do you need a dedicated support representative from your POS provider to install the system? How easy will it be to train new employees to use it?
- Hardware options: Do you want an iPad POS system? Or are you interested in a mPOS (mobile point of sale) approach? (Think: Do you want to be able to move around or is your POS located in one spot?)
- Payment processing fees: Are the fees per transaction standard for your industry? Do you get lower processing fees with a more expensive monthly plan or more than one register?
- Contract terms/commitments: Are there long contract commitments with steep early termination fees? Can you opt for a free trial or demo?
Read our article on choosing a salon POS system to learn more.
The Bottom Line On Why You Need A Salon Point Of Sale
You need a salon-specific POS because that’s what your business is. You aren’t just a retail store, you aren’t just a personal service provider.
You (and your employees) need specific tools to be successful and help your customers leave feeling satisfied. Save yourself time, money, and energy by improving your customer retention and reducing your employee turnover with a salon-specific POS system.