Looking for a free POS solution?
Try Square POS
- Date Established
- El Segundo, CA
- Easy to use
- Flat monthly rate
- Discounted shipping rates
- Limited features
- Difficult to cancel
- Unreliable billing
Do you regularly ship with the USPS? Do you find yourself waiting for hours each month at the post office just so you can get your orders out the door?
If this is you, you’re probably looking for a change!
Stamps.com is a simple online postage service that lets businesses, individuals, and online sellers purchase postage from the USPS on their home or office computer. Once you’ve purchased these shipping labels, you can print them out yourself using a regular desktop printer or a thermal printer. You can save even more time by scheduling package pickup times with the USPS directly from your Stamps.com admin.
For many USPS users, Stamps.com is an affordable shipping solution that frees up time for more important business operations. However, other users may find that Stamps.com does not offer enough features to fit their needs. After all, Stamps.com only connects with one shipping carrier, and it does not provide many features beyond purchasing and printing shipping labels and packing slips.
Nevertheless, Stamps.com is a very popular option for those who ship with the USPS. Stamps.com sales account for over 30% of all priority mail postage purchased with the USPS.
Could your business benefit from Stamps.com? Our review covers the pricing and features of Stamps.com as well as the advantages and disadvantages of the software. Read on.
Table of Contents
Stamps.com has three pricing levels. Levels are based on the number of user accounts and locations you can access. Additionally, Stamps.com offers all users a four-week trial. When you sign up for this trial, you gain access to a few additional perks. These include:
- $5 in free postage to use during your trial
- Free Stamps.com Supplies Kit ($5 value) with address labels, postage labels, and a user manual
- Free 5 lb. digital scale ($50 value) when you pay shipping and handling
- Coupons for $20 in postage that you can use after the trial
Here’s what included with each Stamps.com pricing plan:
Stamps.com’s Pro plan costs $17.99/month and includes:
- One user account
- One location
- 10 cost codes
- Customer support
Stamps.com’s Premier plan costs $24.99/month and includes everything in the Pro plan, plus:
- Three user accounts
- One location
- Printable certified mail forms
- 50 cost codes
Contact Stamps.com to learn about pricing for the Enterprise plan. This plan includes everything in the Premier plan, plus:
- Multiple users
- Multiple locations
- Dedicated account manager
- 1,000 cost codes
- Advanced reporting features
One of the biggest advantages of Stamps.com is the available discounts on shipping rates with USPS. All users, regardless of their pricing plan, gain access to these rates. These discounted rates include:
- Up to 16% on Priority Mail Express shipments
- Up to 40% on Priority Mail shipments
- Up to 30% on First Class Package Service shipments
- Up to 7% on international shipments
- Up to 40% on package insurance
All in all, Stamps.com is an affordable shipping software, especially when you consider the potential discounts you can access.
Cloud-Based Or Locally-Installed
Both. For PC users, Stamps.com offers a downloadable version (which includes stronger features and options). Mac users have to use the online version of the software.
Hardware & Software Requirements
The downloadable version of Stamps.com is only available for PC computers. Here are a few more system requirements to use the downloadable software:
- Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10
- At least 512 MB of RAM
- Internet Explorer 11
- Minimum 800 x 600 screen resolution with at least 256 colors
- Internet connection
- Windows-compatible inkjet, a laser printer with a resolution of 300 dpi or higher, or a thermal roll printer
- Stamps.com ProLabel
- Seiko Thermal Printer (SLP 440 and SLP 450)
- DYMO LabelWriter
- Zebra Printer
If your setup doesn’t meet the requirements above, you can still access Stamps.com’s online version. You can use Stamps.com online with any computer and a reliable internet connection.
Although Stamps.com does not currently offer any mobile apps, you can access the online software via a mobile browser.
Shipping Volume Of Business
While all businesses can use Stamps.com, we think Stamps.com works best for small sellers who ship between 50 and 500 orders per month. In particular, Stamps.com is good for merchants who frequently ship through the USPS.
Online sellers who ship fewer than 50 orders each month might do better with a free (or very cheap) plan with shipping software such as ShipStation or ShippingEasy. Merchants who ship closer to 500 orders per month would benefit from the advanced features of these software solutions, even though their plans are slightly more expensive than Stamps.com.
Ease Of Use
Stamps.com is a fairly easy-to-learn shipping solution. Test out the platform for yourself by signing up for a four-week trial of the software. Just enter your name, address, and credit card information to create a login and password.
As you create your account, you should keep in mind that Stamps.com is a paid service. If you do not cancel your account before those four weeks are over, you are automatically billed for the first (trial) month. It is also difficult to have this charge refunded.
During the setup process, you can integrate with your online store and any online marketplaces you use. Once you’ve integrated those channels, you can import orders over automatically.
After I created my account, my first step was to sync my Shopify store. I was happy to see my orders immediately import automatically.
Once you’ve imported your orders, you can click on each order to select your desired shipping options. This is how you process orders.
When you enter your product’s weight (this is not necessary if you have your product’s weight listed in your online store), you can view all of your packaging options with the corresponding postage cost.
Just select the appropriate option and click to purchase and print.
You can also complete a few more actions using the Stamps.com dashboard. You can, for example, schedule USPS pickups for packages and print SCAN forms, return slips, and more. We think Stamps.com is simple to learn, which is a big plus.
Stamps.com comes with all the features you need to ship with the USPS. Find a summary of those features below:
- Bulk Label Printing: Print shipping labels for all your orders at once.
- Print Packing Slips: If you use the downloadable version of the software, you can even customize your packing slips with graphics, such as a logo or a custom message.
- Print Postage: Print shipping labels and stamps on any printer. You can also print addresses and postage directly onto envelopes.
- Send Return Shipping Labels: Print return shipping labels and send them to customers through email.
- Schedule USPS Pickups: Schedule pickups from your Stamps.com admin panel.
- Purchase Shipping Insurance: You can buy insurance for shipments up to $10,000 in value.
- Tracking: Have package tracking information sent directly to your online marketplace or eCommerce store.
- Send Shipping Notifications: Email customers when their orders ship.
- SCAN Forms: Include multiple shipments on one barcode.
- Thermal Printers: Stamps.com works well with the leading brands of thermal printers.
- Hide Postage Cost: Create shipping labels that hide the cost of shipping.
- Advanced Services Available: Use Stamps.com’s free Global Advantage Program for automated customs forms, instant shipping refunds, better shipment tracking, and to access services for flats and large envelopes.
- Import Orders: Automatically import orders from your online store and import addresses from your existing address books.
- Free USPS Address Verification: Use address verification to avoid human error and fraud.
- Certified Mail & International Customs: Generate and print the correct forms.
- Refunds For Postage Misprints: Get refunds for printing accidents. You can submit postage refund claims online.
- Reports: View reports on the amounts and types of postage you purchase.
For more information on Stamps.com’s features, take a look at the complete feature list on the Stamps.com website.
Integrations & Add-Ons
Stamps.com integrates with 70 different shopping cart software solutions, online marketplaces, and multi-carrier solutions. Integrations with shopping cart software and online marketplaces allow you to import your orders directly into the Stamps.com admin. Integrations with multi-carrier shipping solutions let you use additional shipping software to fulfill orders with other shipping carriers, such as FedEx, UPS, and DHL.
Stamps.com also offers an API.
Customer Service & Support
All Stamps.com users have access to customer support via phone and email. Additionally, users can find support in the form of a knowledgebase, tutorials, and more. Reviews of customer support are mixed. Some users say Stamps.com’s support is helpful and friendly. Other users blame support reps for not being able to resolve issues. Here are a few ways you can access support:
- Phone: Phone support is available Monday-Friday from 6 AM-6 PM PST.
- Email: Stamps.com typically responds to email requests in one to two business days.
- Contact Form: Submit a contact form and receive a response through email.
- Help Center: Stamps.com has an easy-to-search help center with answers to common questions.
- Videos: View Stamps.com’s step-by-step tutorial videos to learn how to use the software’s basic features. You can also view prerecorded webinars. These webinars are about thirty-minutes long and cover such topics as shipping efficiently and shipping internationally.
- Blog: Read up on shipping best practices.
- Social Media: Stamps.com is active on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. The company also has a YouTube account, although it hasn’t added any new videos in years.
Negatives Reviews & Complaints
Stamps.com has its fair share of reviews online. While many of those reviews are positive, there is an equal amount of negative comments and reviews. Here’s what those complaints tend to focus on:
- Quick To Take Money, Slow To Return It: While Stamps.com is very regular in collecting monthly payments and postage payments, if you need a refund for any reason (on the service or postage), you’ll have some trouble procuring it. This can be a big problem when it comes to postage misprints. It’s very easy to lose postage dollars accidentally through printer jams or alignment issues. It may take a long time to have those costs refunded (or they may never be refunded at all).
- Tricky Trial Period: Many users sign up for a trial of Stamps.com, not realizing that it is a paid service, and then they quickly forget about it. When the next month rolls around, these users are surprised by a charge on their credit card balance. In fact, some users don’t realize they are being charged for this service for years.
- Difficult To Cancel: Even if you do cancel Stamps.com, you may still be billed in the following months. Stamps.com does not always cancel your account even when you request it.
- Unhelpful Customer Support: Many users are frustrated that customer support representatives seem unable to help.
- Available For Free Elsewhere: Stamps.com is not the only avenue you can use to purchase postage. In fact, USPS.com and many online marketplaces allow you to buy postage online without any additional monthly fee.
Positive Reviews & Testimonials
It’s important to note that Stamps.com’s user feedback isn’t all complaints. As I’ve said, there are plenty of advantages to using Stamps.com, and many users recognize those perks. Here’s what Stamps.com users like about the software:
- It’s Convenient: Stamps.com lets you purchase and print postage and shipping labels on any printer. Use Stamps.com to schedule package pickups, and you’ll never have to make a trip to the post office again.
- Easy To Use: One of the perks of simple software is that it’s easy to learn. You and your employees should have no trouble learning the basics of importing data, processing orders, and printing postage.
- Discounted Rates: Users appreciate that Stamps.com gives them access to discounts on postage.
- Helpful Customer Support: Some users say Stamps.com’s support representatives are courteous and helpful. It is very common to see mixed reviews when it comes to customer support.
Stamps.com is PCI compliant, so your payment information (and your customers’ information) is secure. Stamps.com is also secured by a VeriSign SSL certificate. Aside from these two elements, we have not seen much information on Stamps.com’s security features.
At this point, you probably know whether or not Stamps.com will be helpful to you and your business. But, if you have any further questions, go ahead and sign up for a trial of the software. You have to enter your credit card information, and if you forget to cancel, you are charged that monthly fee. Set a reminder, so you don’t forget!
During your four-week trial, test out the software as well as you can. Run through daily operations and test out advanced features, such as return label creation, postage refunds, and probe support.
If Stamps.com works for you, there’s nothing else you need to do. Just keep using the software. But if Stamps.com doesn’t quite fit your needs, you’ll have to look into other options. Take a look at our favorite shipping software for a quick reference of a few stellar alternatives. Best of luck!
We've done in-depth research on each and confidently recommend them.
We've done in-depth research on each and confidently recommend them.