- Easy to use
- Flat monthly rate
- Discounted shipping rates
- Limited carriers
- Difficult to cancel
- Unreliable refunds
Stamps.com is a simple online postage service that lets users purchase postage from the USPS from their home or office computer. If that sounds like an intriguing option for saving your small business some time — and, potentially, some money — you’ll definitely want to read this full Stamps.com review.
Many USPS users find Stamps.com to be an easy, convenient, and affordable shipping solution that frees up time for more important business operations. For example, you can use Stamps.com to print out shipping labels yourself, using a regular desktop printer or a thermal printer. You can even schedule package pickup times with the USPS directly from your Stamps.com admin.
However, others may find that Stamps.com doesn’t offer enough features to fit their needs. After all, Stamps.com uses the US Postal Service as its main shipping carrier, and it does not provide many features beyond purchasing and printing shipping labels and packing slips. Nevertheless, Stamps.com is a very popular option for those who ship primarily with the USPS. In fact, Stamps.com sales account for more than 30% of all priority mail postage purchased with the USPS.
Could your business benefit from using this software? Our Stamps.com review covers the pricing and features of Stamps.com as well as the advantages and disadvantages of the software. Read on.
Table of Contents
Stamps.com has three pricing levels, based on the number of user accounts and locations you can access. The cost of postage is in addition to the service plan. Here’s what is included with each Stamps.com pricing plan:
Stamps.com’s Pro plan costs $17.99/month and includes:
- One user account
- One location
- 10 reference codes that allow you to assign a category to the items you ship
- Customer support
Stamps.com’s Premier plan costs $24.99/month and includes everything in the Pro plan, plus:
- Three user accounts
- One location
- Printable certified mail forms
- 50 reference codes
Contact Stamps.com to learn about pricing for the Enterprise plan. Pricing is customized for each Enterprise account. This plan includes everything in the Premier plan, plus:
- Multiple users
- Multiple locations
- 1,000 reference codes
- Advanced reporting features
One of the biggest advantages of Stamps.com is the available discounts on shipping rates with USPS. All users, regardless of their pricing plan, gain access to these rates. These discounted rates are not based on your shipping volume and include:
- Up to 12% on Priority Mail Express shipments
- Up to 38% on Priority Mail shipments
- Up to 28% on First Class Package Service shipments
- Up to 7% on international shipments
- Up to 40% on package insurance
Additionally, Stamps.com users can get up to 66% off UPS 2-day air and up to 50% off UPS ground rates for domestic shipments. Common UPS fees, such as a residential surcharge for ground shipments, are waived for Stamps.com users.
Stamps.com offers all users a four-week trial. If you decide not to continue service, be sure to cancel before the trial period ends, or you will be charged a monthly $17.99 charge for the service, including the trial period. When you sign up for the trial, you gain access to a few additional perks. These include:
- $5 in free postage to use during your trial
- Free Stamps.com Supplies Kit ($5 value) with address labels, postage labels, and a user manual
- Free 5 lb. digital scale ($50 value) when you pay shipping and handling
- Coupons for $20 in postage that you can use after the trial
Cloud-Based Or Locally-Installed
You can access a cloud-based version of Stamps.com or download PC-based software. For PC users, Stamps.com offers a downloadable version that includes stronger features and options. If you’re a Mac user, your only option is to use the online version of the software.
Hardware & Software Requirements
The downloadable version of Stamps.com is available only for PC computers; Mac users can use the cloud-based version of the software. Here are a few more system requirements to use the downloadable software:
- Internet connection
- Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10
- At least 512 MB of RAM
- Internet Explorer 11
- Minimum 800 x 600 screen resolution with at least 256 colors
- Windows-compatible inkjet, a laser printer with a resolution of 300 dpi or higher, or a thermal roll printer such as: Stamps.com ProLabel, Seiko Thermal Printer (SLP 440 and SLP 450), DYMO LabelWriter, Eltron, or Zebra Printer
If your setup doesn’t meet the requirements above, you can still access Stamps.com’s online version. You can use Stamps.com online with any computer and a reliable internet connection.
Although Stamps.com does not currently offer any mobile apps, you can access the online software via a mobile browser.
Shipping Volume Of Business
While any business can use Stamps.com, we think Stamps.com works best for small sellers who ship between 50 and 500 orders per month. In particular, Stamps.com is good for merchants who frequently ship through the USPS.
Online sellers who ship fewer than 50 orders each month might do better signing up for a free or very cheap plan with shipping software such as ShipStation or ShippingEasy. Merchants who ship closer to 500 orders per month would benefit from the advanced features of any of several top-rated software solutions. Even though their plans may be slightly more expensive than Stamps.com, their advanced features and more generous limits make them attractive options.
Ease Of Use
Stamps.com is a fairly easy-to-learn shipping solution. Test out the platform for yourself by signing up for a four-week trial of the software. Just enter your name, address, and credit card information to create a login and password. As you create your account, you should keep in mind that Stamps.com is a paid service. If you do not cancel your account before those four weeks are over, you will be automatically billed for the first (trial) month. Fair warning: It is difficult to have this charge refunded.
During the setup process, you can integrate with your online store and the online marketplaces you use, including eBay, Amazon, and Etsy. Once you’ve integrated those channels, you can import orders automatically. After I created my account, my first step was to sync my Shopify store. I was happy to see my orders import immediately and automatically.
Once you’ve imported your orders, you can click on each order to select your desired shipping options. This is how you process orders. You can complete a few more actions using the Stamps.com dashboard, such as scheduling USPS pickups for packages, printing SCAN forms and return slips, and more. Overall, we think Stamps.com is simple to learn and to use, which is a big plus.
Stamps.com comes with all the features you need to ship with the USPS. Find a summary of those features below:
- Dashboard: The Stamps.com dashboard is clean and orderly.
- Shipping: Schedule pickups directly from your Stamps.com admin panel. You can add insurance for shipments up to $10,000 in value. Use address verification to avoid human error and fraud.
- Multi-Channel Sync: Stamps.com automatically imports orders directly from shopping carts and marketplaces, including eBay, Amazon.com, and Etsy. Automatically import addresses from your existing address books.
- Shipment Tracking: You can have package tracking information sent directly to your online marketplace or eCommerce store. Email customers when their orders ship.
- Order Management: Use batch processing to print shipping labels for all your orders at once. Print return shipping labels and send them to customers via email. SCAN forms allow you to include multiple shipments on one barcode.
- Reports: View reports on the amounts and types of postage you purchase.
- Shipping Labels: Stamps.com works well with the leading brands of thermal printers. You can also print addresses and postage directly onto envelopes. If you use the downloadable version of the software, you can even customize your packing slips with graphics, such as a logo or a custom message.
- International Shipping: Use Stamps.com’s free Global Advantage Program for automated customs forms, instant shipping refunds, better shipment tracking, and access to services for flats and large envelopes. Generate and print the correct forms for certified mail and international customs.
- Postage Perks: Create shipping labels that hide the cost of shipping. Get refunds for printing accidents. You can submit postage refund claims online.
For more information on Stamps.com’s features, check out the complete feature list on the Stamps.com website.
Stamps.com Customer Service & Support
All Stamps.com users have access to customer support via phone and email. Additionally, users can find support in the form of a knowledgebase, tutorials, and more. Reviews of customer support are mixed. Some users say Stamps.com’s support is helpful and friendly. Other users blame support reps for not being able to resolve issues. Here are a few ways you can access support:
- Phone: Phone support is available Monday-Friday from 6 AM-6 PM PST.
- Email: Stamps.com typically responds to email requests in one to two business days.
- Contact Form: Submit a contact form and receive a response through email.
- Help Center: Stamps.com has an easy-to-search help center with answers to common questions.
- Videos: View Stamps.com’s step-by-step tutorial videos to learn how to use the software’s basic features. You can also view prerecorded webinars. These webinars are about thirty minutes long and cover such topics as shipping efficiently and shipping internationally.
- Blog: Read up on shipping best practices.
- Social Media: Stamps.com is active on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. The company also has a YouTube channel, although it hasn’t added any new videos in several years.
Stamps.com has its fair share of reviews online. Overall, the company has 4.65/5 stars (based on 1,600+ reviews) and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. Although many Stamps.com reviews online are positive, you can see some clear patterns in the less favorable comments.
Negatives Stamps.com Reviews & Complaints
Here are some common complaints from Stamps.com users:
- Quick To Take Money, Slow To Return It: While Stamps.com is very regular in collecting monthly payments and postage payments, if you need a refund for any reason, on the service or postage, you may encounter some trouble getting it. This can be a big problem when it comes to postage misprints. It’s very easy to lose postage dollars accidentally through printer jams or alignment issues. It may take a long time to have those costs refunded, or they may never be refunded at all.
- Tricky Trial Period: Many users sign up for a trial of Stamps.com not realizing that it is a paid service, and then they quickly forget about it. When the next month rolls around, these users are surprised by a charge on their credit card balance. In fact, some users have not realized they are being charged for this service for years.
- Difficult To Cancel: Even if you do cancel Stamps.com, you may still be billed in the following months. Multiple users say that Stamps.com does not always cancel your account even when you request it.
- Unhelpful Customer Support: Many users express frustration that customer support representatives seem unable to help.
- Available For Free Elsewhere: Stamps.com is not the only avenue you can use to purchase postage. In fact, USPS.com and many online marketplaces allow you to buy postage online without any additional monthly fee.
Positive Stamps.com Reviews & Testimonials
It’s important to note that Stamps.com’s user feedback isn’t all complaints. As I’ve said, there are plenty of advantages to using Stamps.com, and many users recognize those perks. Here’s what Stamps.com users like about the software:
- It’s Convenient: Stamps.com lets you purchase and print postage and shipping labels on any printer. Use Stamps.com to schedule package pickups, and you’ll never have to make a trip to the post office again.
- Easy To Use: One of the perks of simple software is that it’s easy to learn. You and your employees should have no trouble learning the basics of importing data, processing orders, and printing postage.
- Discounted Rates: Users appreciate that Stamps.com gives them access to discounts on postage.
- Helpful Customer Support: Some users say Stamps.com’s support representatives are courteous and helpful. It is very common to see mixed reviews when it comes to customer support for software.
Stamps.com Integrations & Add-Ons
Stamps.com integrates with more than 70 different shopping cart software solutions, online marketplaces, and multi-carrier solutions. Look for integrations with shopping cart software, such as WooCommerce, Volusion, Zen Cart, Shopify, PrestaShop, Magento, and more as well as with online marketplaces like Amazon, eBay, Etsy, and Yahoo.
These integrations allow you to import orders directly into the Stamps.com admin. Integrations with multi-carrier shipping solutions let you use additional shipping software to fulfill orders with other shipping carriers, such as FedEx, UPS, and DHL.
Stamps.com also offers an API for developers.
Stamps.com is an approved, licensed, and regulated vendor of the Postal Service. It’s also PCI and GDPR compliant, so your payment information and your customers’ information are secure. Stamps.com is also secured by a VeriSign SSL certificate. Stamps.com participates in the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework and complies with the Privacy Shield principles.
Final Verdict Of Stamps.com
On the whole, an in-depth Stamps.com review shows a decent software product, with a few flaws that are balanced by solid benefits and useful features. If you’re still not 100% convinced, sign up for a trial and test it for yourself. You have to enter your credit card information, and if you forget to cancel, you will be charged the monthly fee for a Stamps.com Pro account. So, set a reminder, and don’t forget to evaluate the service and make a decision well before the 30-day mark hits.
During your four-week trial, give the software a thorough test. Link your online store and run through daily operations, testing advanced features such as return label creation and postage refunds. Give the support options a trial too, so you can be sure that help will be there for you if and when you really need it.
If Stamps.com works for you, there’s nothing else you need to do. Just keep using the software. But if Stamps.com doesn’t quite fit your needs, keep looking into other options. While it may take some time to find the right shipping software for your business needs, it’s worth the effort. When you find a way to make shipping easier, you’ll have time to make all kinds of adjustments that improve your business success overall.
We've done in-depth research on each and confidently recommend them.
We've done in-depth research on each and confidently recommend them.