- Easy to use
- Flat monthly rate
- Discounted shipping rates
- Limited features
- Difficult to cancel
- Unreliable billing
Do you ship regularly with the USPS? Do you find yourself waiting for hours each month at the post office just so you can get your orders out the door?
If this is you, you’re probably looking for a change!
Stamps.com is a simple, online postage service that lets businesses, individuals, and online sellers purchase postage from the USPS on their home or office computer. Once you’ve purchased these shipping labels, you can print them out yourself using a regular desktop printer or a thermal printer. You can save even more time by scheduling package pickup times with the USPS directly from your Stamps.com admin.
For many USPS users, Stamps.com is an affordable shipping solution that frees up time for more important business operations. However, other users may find that Stamps.com does not offer enough features to fit their needs. After all, Stamps.com only connects with one shipping carrier, and it does not offer many features beyond purchasing and printing shipping labels and packing slips.
Nevertheless, Stamps.com is a very popular option for those who ship with the USPS. Stamps.com sales account for over 30% of all priority mail postage purchased with the USPS.
Could your business benefit from Stamps.com? Our review covers the pricing and features of Stamps.com as well as the advantages and disadvantages of the software. Read on.
Stamps.com is currently running a promotion for new merchants who sign up. Use the code STAMPS 100 to get $40 in postage coupons (to be used in increments of $10 over four months) and a free supplies kit. You’ll get all this in addition to Stamps.com’s usual offerings, which include $5 in free postage, a free digital postage scale, and a free trial period. View Stamps.com’s promotion for more details.
Table of Contents
Pricing for Stamps.com is simple. The software will cost you a flat rate of $15.99/month. In addition, you’ll also need to pay the cost of the postage you purchase. When you sign up with Stamps.com, you’ll receive a few perks:
- Free 5 lb. Digital Scale, connects via USB
- You must pay shipping and handling
- 4-Week Free Trial
- If you continue with Stamps.com beyond these four weeks, you must pay the cost for this trial month.
- $5 in USPS postage to use in trial period
- Free Supplies Kit
- $10 postage coupons to use after 4-week trial
In addition, all Stamps.com users will have access to discounted shipping rates with USPS. These discounted rates include:
- Up to 13% on Priority Mail Express
- Up to 40% on Priority Mail
- Up to 25% on First Class Package Service
- Up to 5% on international shipments
- Up to 40% on package insurance
All in all, Stamps.com is an affordable shipping software, especially when you consider the potential discounts you’ll be able to access.
Cloud-Based Or Locally-Installed
Both. For PC users, Stamps.com offers a downloadable version (which includes stronger features and options). Mac users will have to use the online version of the software.
Specific Size Of Business
While all businesses can use Stamps.com, we think Stamps.com works best for small sellers who ship between 50 and 500 orders per month. In particular, Stamps.com is good for merchants who ship frequently through the USPS.
Online sellers who ship fewer than 50 orders each month might do better with a free (or very cheap) plan with a shipping software like ShipStation (read our review) or ShippingEasy (read our review). Merchants who ship closer to 500 orders per month would benefit from the advanced features of these software solutions, even though plans are slightly more expensive than Stamps.com.
Hardware & Operating System Requirements
The downloadable version of Stamps.com is only available for PC. Here are a few more system requirements to use the downloadable software:
- Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10
- At least 512 MB of RAM
- Internet Explorer 11
- Minimum 800 x 600 screen resolution with at least 256 colors
- Internet connection
- Windows-compatible inkjet or laser printer with a resolution of 300 dpi or greater, or a thermal roll printer:
- Stamps.com LabelWriter
- Seiko Thermal Printer (SLP 440 and SLP 450)
- DYMO LabelWriter
- Zebra Printer
If your setup doesn’t meet the requirements above, you can still access Stamps.com’s online version. Here are the requirements for the online version:
- Requires Mac OS 10.5 or newer
- Macintosh with Intel processor
- Reliable internet access
Ease Of Use
Stamps.com is a fairly easy-to-learn shipping solution. Test out the platform for yourself by signing up for a 4-week trial of the software. You’ll need to enter your name, address, and credit card information in order to create your login and password.
As you create your account, you should keep in mind that Stamps.com is a paid service. If you do not cancel your account before those 4 weeks are over, you will automatically be billed for both the first (trial) month and the next month. It is difficult to have this charge refunded.
During the setup process, you’ll be able to integrate with your online store and any online marketplaces you use. Once you’ve integrated those channels, you can have your orders import over automatically.
After I created my account, my first step was to sync my Shopify store. I was happy to see my orders import automatically and immediately.
Once you’ve imported your orders, you’ll then be able to click each individual order to select your desired shipping options. This is how you’ll process orders…
When you enter your product’s weight (this is not necessary if you have your product’s weight listed in your online store), you’ll be able to view all of your packaging options with the corresponding postage cost.
Just select the appropriate option and click to purchase and print.
You can also complete a few more actions using the Stamps.com dashboard. You can, for example, schedule USPS pickups for packages and print SCAN forms, return slips, and more.
We think Stamps.com is a simple software to learn, which is a big plus.
Stamps.com comes with all the features you need to ship with the USPS. Find a summary of those features below:
- Bulk Label Printing: Print up to 1,000 labels at a time.
- Print Packing Slips: If you use the downloadable version of the software, you can customize your packing slips with graphics like a logo or a custom message.
- Print Postage: Print shipping labels and stamps on any printer. You can also print addresses and postage directly onto envelopes.
- Send Return Shipping Labels: Print return shipping labels and send them to customers through email.
- Schedule USPS Pickups: Schedule pickups from your Stamps.com admin panel.
- Purchase Shipping Insurance: You are able to insure shipments up to $10,000 in value.
- Tracking: Have package tracking information sent directly to your online marketplace or eCommerce store.
- Send Shipping Notifications: Email customers when their orders ship.
- SCAN Forms: Include multiple shipments on one barcode.
- Thermal Printers: Stamps.com works well with the leading brands of thermal printers.
- Hide Postage Cost: Create shipping labels that hide the cost of shipping.
- Advanced Services Available: Use Stamps.com’s free Global Advantage Program to access services for flats and large envelopes, automated customs forms, instant shipping refunds, and better shipment tracking.
- Import Orders: Automatically import orders from your online store and import addresses from your existing address books.
- Free USPS Address Verification: Use address verification to avoid human error and fraud.
- Certified Mail & International Customs: Generate and print the correct forms.
- Find The Best Shipping Deals: Stamps.com automatically finds best shipping options considering price, package size, weight and delivery date.
- Refunds For Postage Misprints: Get refunds for printing accidents. You can submit postage refund claims online.
For more information on Stamps.com’s features, take a look at the complete feature list on the Stamps.com website.
Stamps.com lets you view reports on the amounts and types of postage you purchase. Here’s a bit more detail on those reports features:
- Trends Views: Review increases and decreases in expenses and track spending patterns.
- Summary Views: See a snapshot of charges to your account.
- Transactions View: Take a look at individual transactions.
- Cost Codes: Use Cost Codes to tag your postage purchases and better analyze trends later on.
Integrations & Add-Ons
Stamps.com integrates with several shopping cart software solutions and online marketplaces. These integrations will allow you to import your orders directly into the Stamps.com admin. Integrations with multi-carrier shipping solutions will allow you to fulfill some orders with Stamps.com and other orders with alternative carriers using your additional shipping software.
- and more
Multi-Carrier Shipping Solutions
- and more
View the full list of integrations on the Stamps.com website for more information.
Customer Service & Support
All Stamps.com users have access to customer support via phone, email, and web ticket. In addition, users can find support in the form of a knowledge base, tutorials, and more.
- Help Center: Find support documentation.
- Tutorial Videos: View step-by-step instructions for basic features.
- FAQs: Find answers to the most frequently asked questions.
- System Status: Check in on Stamps.com’s uptime record.
- Phone Support:
- Mon-Fri, 6 a.m.–6 p.m. PST
- Email: Response in 1-2 business days
- Web Ticket: Submit a support ticket for personalized assistance.
- Blog: Read up on shipping best practices.
Reviews of customer support are mixed. Some users say Stamps.com’s support is helpful and friendly. Other users blame support reps for not being able to resolve issues.
Negatives Reviews & Complaints
Stamps.com has its fair share of reviews online. While many of those reviews are positive, there is an equal amount of negative comments and reviews. Here’s what those complaints tend to focus on:
- Quick To Take Money, Slow To Return It: While Stamps.com is very regular in collecting monthly payments and postage payments, if you need a refund for any reason (on the service or on postage) you’ll have some trouble procuring it. This can be a big problem when it comes to postage misprints. It’s very easy to accidentally lose postage dollars through printer jams or alignment issues. It may take a long time to have those costs refunded (or they may never be refunded at all).
- Tricky Trial Period: Many users sign up for a trial of Stamps.com not realizing that it is a paid service, and then they quickly forget about it. When the next month rolls around, these users are surprised by a charge on their credit card balance. In fact, some users don’t realize they are being charged for this service for years.
- Difficult To Cancel: Even if you do cancel Stamps.com, you may still be billed in the following months. Stamps.com does not always cancel your account even when you request it.
- Unhelpful Customer Support: Many users are frustrated that customer support representatives seem unable to help.
- Available For Free Elsewhere: Stamps.com is not the only avenue you can use to purchase postage. In fact, USPS.com and many online marketplaces allow you to purchase postage online without any additional monthly fee.
Other, less common complaints include the following:
- Software freezes up occasionally
- Free package scale was never delivered
Positive Reviews & Testimonials
It’s important to note that Stamps.com’s user feedback isn’t all complaints. As I’ve said, there are plenty of advantages to using Stamps.com, and many users recognize those perks. Here’s what Stamps.com users like about the software:
- It’s Convenient: Stamps.com lets you purchase and print postage and shipping labels on any printer. Use Stamps.com to schedule package pickups, and you’ll never have to make a trip to the post office again.
- Easy To Use: One of the perks of simple software is that it’s easy to learn. You and your employees should have no trouble learning the basics of importing data, processing orders, and printing postage.
- Discounted Rates: Users appreciate that Stamps.com gives them access to discounts on postage.
- Helpful Customer Support: Some users say Stamps.com’s support representatives are courteous and helpful. It is very common to see mixed reviews when it comes to customer support.
Stamps.com is PCI compliant, so your information (and your customers’ information) will be secure.
At this point, you probably know whether or not Stamps.com will be helpful to you and your business. But, if you have any further questions, go ahead and sign up for a free trial of the software. You’ll have to enter your credit card information, and if you forget to cancel, you’ll be charged that monthly fee. Set a reminder so you don’t forget!
During your 4 week trial, test out the software as well as you can. Run through daily operations, test out advanced features like return label creation and postage refunds, and probe support.
If Stamps.com works for you, there’s nothing else you’ll need to do. Just keep using the software. But, if Stamps.com doesn’t quite fit your needs, you’ll have to look into other options. Take a look at our favorite shipping software for a quick reference of a few stellar alternatives. Best of luck!
Stamps.com is currently running a promotion for new merchants who sign up. Use the code STAMPS 100 to get $40 in postage coupons (to be used in increments of $10 over four months) and a free supplies kit. You’ll get all this in addition to Stamps.com’s usual offerings, which include $5 in free postage, a free digital postage scale, and a free trial period View Stamps.com’s promotion for more details.
To learn more about how we score our reviews, see our Shipping Software Rating Criteria.