The Complete 2023 Clover Pricing Guide
In our Clover pricing guide, we set the record straight on what a good Clover POS price is and where you can get the best deals.
Clover POS pricing depends on your POS system hardware choice, software subscription, and merchant services provider.
Clover POS is one of the best POS systems available, and we recommend it to all small business types, but is it in your small business budget?
Keep reading this Clover POS pricing guide for a detailed understanding of how much money business owners may pay per month to use Clover POS.
Table of Contents
What Is Clover Pricing?
Clover pricing varies for POS hardware, software, and credit card processing. Here are some average rates for Clover:
- Clover Hardware: $1,699-$1,799 (Clover Station)
- Clover Software: $0/month-$84.95/month
- Clover Payment Processing Fees: 2.3%-2.6% + $0.10 per card-present transaction
Clover POS Pricing For Hardware
As with the cost of POS systems in general, Clover POS pricing depends partly on where you purchase it and which pieces of hardware you want to include in your POS setup. You can only use Clover software if you have Clover hardware, so you have to purchase new hardware if you’re switching from another POS provider or have never had a POS system before.
The following Clover pricing is what you can expect from Clover.com directly. Other vendors vary in their hardware pricing.
|Clover Station Solo||Clover Station Duo||Clover Mini||Clover Flex|
|Hardware Included||Station, cash drawer, receipt printer||Station, customer-facing display, cash drawer, receipt printer||Clover Mini with built-in receipt printer and scanner (cash drawer sold separately)||Clover Flex with built-in receipt printer and scanner (cash drawer sold separately)|
|Compatible Software Plans||Register, Table Service Restaurant||Register, Counter Service Restaurant||Register, Table Service Restaurant, Counter Service Restaurant||Essentials, Register, Table Service Restaurant, Counter Service Restaurant|
|Monthly Payment Plan (Hardware Plus Software)||$125-$160/month||$135-$140/month||$45-$95/month||$35-$85/month|
Additional hardware add-ons, such as scales, barcode scanners, kitchen printers, and debit PIN pads, can drive Clover pricing up further.
For example, if you want to add a Clover mobile reader that you can take anywhere with your phone and sync your sales with your main POS, you can purchase a portable Clover Go device for another $49.
Various vendors may offer lower Clover pricing in terms of hardware (Clover.com hardware prices are MSRP), but those lower prices may come with a catch, such as having to sign a long-term merchant services contract for payment processing.
If you’re shopping around online, be sure to avoid Clover POS scams.
Clover POS Pricing Plans For Software
Clover charges monthly for subscriptions, but you must sign up for a 36-month or 48-month contract. If you want to terminate your contract, you have to pay a fee equal to the total length of time left on your contract.
These aren’t great contract conditions, but they’re also not uncommon when it comes to buying POS systems.
The following are Clover’s monthly software fees if you purchase your Clover hardware upfront:
Clover Payments Plan: $0/Month
- Includes payment processing only
- Flat-rate processing at 2.6% + $0.10
- Compatible with Clover Flex and Clover Go
Note: Curious about Square vs. Clover pricing? While Clover does have a free “Payments” plan (described above), unlike Square’s free plan, Clover’s is a bare-bones plan that doesn’t include any POS features beyond payment processing. Clover processing fees on the free plan are the same as Square’s.
Clover Essentials Plan: $14.95/Month
- Entry-level plan for home/field, personal, and professional services, plus the best POS for retail shops
- Flat-rate processing starts at 2.6% + $0.10 (if the plan is purchased directly from Clover)
- Compatible with Clover Mini, Clover Flex, and Clover Go
- Features include:
- Accept all credit and debit cards, including chip (EMV) cards
- Accept contactless (NFC) payments
- Customer-facing online ordering module
- Virtual terminal for online payment processing
- Track cash payments
- Process payments when offline
- Send paperless receipts
- Accept on-screen signatures and tips
- Ring up items, discounts, and tax
- Theft protection (set employee permissions)
- Employee management (employee permissions, shift scheduling)
- Export basic reports (sales, tax, payroll)
- 24/7 support
- Liability protection up to $100,000 in the event of a data breach
- Access to 200+ apps and integrations on the Clover App Market
Register Plan: $49.95/Month
- Mid-tier plan for businesses with a dedicated physical location
- Flat-rate processing starting at 2.3% + $0.10 (if the plan is purchased directly from Clover)
- Compatible with Clover Mini, Clover Station Solo, and Clover Station Duo
- Includes everything in the Essentials plan, plus:
- Robust POS inventory management (items, categories, modifiers, and variants)
- Process exchanges and returns
- Integrate with a weight scale and barcode scanner
- Create a simple, custom loyalty program
Table Service Restaurant Plan: $84.95/Month
- Best for full-service restaurants
- Flat-rate processing at 2.3% + $0.10 (if the plan is purchased directly from Clover)
- Compatible with Clover Station Solo, Clover Station Duo, and Clover Flex
- Full-service dining features include:
- Floor planning
- Apply service charges to large parties
- Split checks in any proportion
- Card pre-authorizations to start bar tabs/house accounts
- Run reports per revenue center (patio vs. bar)
- Online ordering
- Contactless dining (Scan to Order and Scan to Pay QR Code Ordering)
- Grubhub and Order With Google integrations
Counter Service Restaurant Plan: $54.95/Month
- Best POS for restaurants that are fast-casual, quick-serve, and counter-service
- Flat-rate processing starts at 2.3% + $0.10 (if the plan is purchased directly from Clover)
- Compatible with Clover Mini, Clover Station Duo, and Clover Flex
- Quick-serve dining features include:
- Online ordering
- Pickup and delivery ordering types
- Contactless dining (Scan to Order and Scan to Pay)
- Grubhub and Order With Google integrations
- Remote order firing
- Item and order-level discounts
- Run reports per revenue class (food, wine, etc.)
- Line busting (if you purchase Clover Flex)
To add additional POS devices to any of these plans (at the same physical location), you’ll pay an additional monthly software fee of $14.95/month/device.
Note: There is also a Clover Virtual Terminal plan ($14.95/month) that does not require you to purchase or lease any hardware upfront. On this plan, you can only accept keyed-in card payments (3.5% + $0.10).
Clover Pricing For Credit Card Processing
Clover is always offered in conjunction with a merchant account, whether you buy it from Clover.com or elsewhere. Clover.com offers a flat-rate pricing structure in which you’ll pay one of the following rates, depending on your plan:
- In-Person Transactions: 2.6% + $0.10 (Essentials) or 2.3% + $0.10 (Register, Table Service, Counter Service)
- Card-Not-Present Transactions: 3.5% + $0.10 (all plans)
Card-not-present transactions include online orders, virtual terminal/invoice payments, phone orders, keyed-in card numbers, and orders from third-party software providers. If your business generates most of its revenue online, Clover may not be the right payment processor for you.
Note: Clover offers custom payment processing rates for larger businesses. If your business grows substantially within the first six months of processing payments with Clover, you are eligible for a payment rate review.
Can You Get A Better Rate For Clover Merchant Fees?
Not all Clover sellers offer flat-rate processing. Some providers, such as Payment Depot, offer interchange-plus rates, which might work better for higher-volume merchants processing more than $10K/month.
Other less-desirable Clover vendors offer tiered pricing or enhanced billback pricing, which are both confusing and expensive. Some vendors provide flat-rate processing, but their rates may be higher than Clover processing fees. For example, Bank of America sells the Register plan with 2.7% processing.
Best Place To Buy Clover POS
Though Clover is a Fiserv product that comes with a Fiserv merchant account, you have many different options for where to purchase your Clover POS hardware and associated merchant account. Many entities sell Clover, from national banks and merchant services companies to retailers, such as Sam’s Club.
Here are some high-quality Clover POS vendors that we recommend:
All of these recommended vendors offer fair, straightforward pricing and month-to-month contracts. Which one you should choose depends largely on what kind of payment processing model works best for your business: flat-rate, interchange-plus, or cash discount.
These are some popular Clover vendors that we do NOT recommend:
- Leaders Merchant Services
- Merchant One
- Wells Fargo Merchant Services
- First Data (now Fiserv)
- Bank of America Merchant Services
- Sam’s Club Merchant Services
These not-recommended Clover vendors tend to have long-term processing contracts, expensive pricing (often with hidden fees), and hardware leases.
To learn more about where to buy your Clover system, read our post on the best Clover resellers.
Why Clover Fees Can Vary
Though differences in Clover pricing may seem minor at first glance, these costs can really add up over time. There are a few reasons for this:
- Payment processing model variations
- Contract length
- Leasing hardware rather than buying it outright
- Setup, early termination, and hidden fees (very common in long-term contracts)
Here are a few examples of good and bad Clover POS hardware/software deals:
- Bad Deal: Offers free Clover POS equipment but a tiered processing model that will end up costing your business hundreds of dollars more per month than a flat-rate plan.
- Bad Deal: Has a hardware leasing contract requirement that will cost you less money upfront but will cost you thousands of dollars more over the life of your contract.
- Good Deal: Provides straightforward, month-to-month interchange-plus pricing with no hidden fees and a standard $10 to $25 monthly membership fee.
The Bottom Line On Clover Pricing
To recap, Clover pricing is a good deal for various types of brick-and-mortar businesses that need POS hardware, software, and payment processing. The Clover hardware is on the pricier side, but it is attractive and high-quality; the monthly Clover software plans are affordable and include useful industry-specific features.
However, Clover credit card processing fees can vary depending on where you buy your Clover POS system.
For the best Clover pricing, we recommend buying from a merchant services provider that:
- Lets you buy your Clover POS hardware upfront
- Offers month-to-month contracts
- Uses either flat-rate or interchange-plus pricing
If you can’t afford to buy your Clover POS equipment outright, read our post on equipment financing.
If you’re not 100% sure whether you want to use Clover as your POS, or if you feel Clover POS pricing is too high, you might want to evaluate some of the best Clover alternatives.
Also, if you’re also considering using Square POS, one of Clover’s toughest competitors, read our Clover POS VS Square POS comparison post to help you make the right decision.