How Much Is QBO Payroll? The Complete Guide To QuickBooks Online Payroll Pricing
Payroll is an integral and time-consuming task for small business owners. QBO Payroll's features and ease of use make it an efficient and competitive product.
When it comes to managing your business, payroll is an integral and time-consuming task. Small businesses that use QuickBooks for their accounting needs may have noticed that the company is always in a state of flux, changing in direct response to client feedback. QuickBooks’ recent revamping of its payroll platform is a testament to that commitment to stay responsive and on-trend.
There are two different versions of QuickBooks payroll products. The QuickBooks Desktop Payroll system works with QuickBooks Desktop Pro, Premier, or Enterprise. However, the QuickBooks Intuit Online Payroll platform is available for QuickBooks Online clients. And, bonus! Adding payroll to your QuickBooks suite is as simple as clicking a button.
Designed for new or current users, QuickBooks Online Payroll (also referred to as Intuit Online Payroll) offers three online payroll pricing structures — all with full-service, automatic payroll options.
Table of Contents
- How Much Does QuickBooks Online Payroll Cost?
- QuickBooks Online Payroll Pricing Plans
- Which QuickBooks Online Payroll Pricing Plan Is Right For You?
- Are There Cheaper Options Than Intuit Online Payroll?
- How To Add Intuit Online Payroll To Your QuickBooks Online Account
- QuickBooks Online Payroll Pricing FAQs
How Much Does QuickBooks Online Payroll Cost?
QuickBooks Online Payroll costs between $45-$125/month plus $6-$10/month per employee, depending on which of the three QBO Payroll pricing plans you choose. Each pricing plan gains you full-service payroll with automated tax support, but the larger the plan, the more additional features and customer support you have access to.
QuickBooks Online Payroll Pricing Plans
All of the QuickBooks Online Payroll pricing plans include full-service payroll. That means even the lowest Intuit Online Payroll price tier includes automatic tax and form filing.
QuickBooks Online Payroll has three pricing tiers: Core, Premium, and Elite. The program also has month-to-month contracts and no early termination fees. (QuickBooks also runs promotions frequently for its products, so be sure to check for any available discounts before purchasing.)
|Pricing||$45/month +$6/person||$80/month + $8/person||$125/month + $10/person|
|Next-Day Direct Deposit|
|Unlimited Payroll Runs|
|Files Federal & State Taxes|
|Files Year-End Forms|
|Garnishments & Deductions|
|Health Benefits Management|
|Same-Day Direct Deposit|
|Assisted Payroll Setup|
|Tax Penalty Protection|
Here are the Intuit Online Payroll cost breakdowns:
QuickBooks Online Core Payroll
The most basic payroll program, Core’s Payroll plan, costs $45/month + $6/month per employee and includes:
- Next-day direct deposit
- Unlimited payroll runs
- Automated payroll
- Calculates paychecks
- Calculates and files federal and state taxes
- Calculates and files year-end forms
- Expert support
- Workplace portal
- Manages garnishments and deductions
- Offers reporting features
- Health benefits management
QuickBooks Online Premium Payroll
QuickBooks Online Payroll Premium Payroll plan costs $80/month + $8/per employee and includes everything in the Core Payroll plan, plus:
- Same-day direct deposit
- HR support
- 24/7 product support
- Worker’s compensation administration
- Assisted payroll setup
- Help from US-based expert support staff
- Mobile time tracking
QuickBooks Online Elite Payroll
QuickBooks Online Payroll’s Elite Payroll plan costs $125/month + $10/per employee and includes everything in the Premium Payroll plan, plus:
- HR support with a personal HR advisor
- White glove customized setup
- Mobile time tracking & project management
- Tax penalty protection
QuickBooks currently has a promotion where you can get your first three months of payroll for 50% off. This applies to any plan. A 30-day free trial is also available. However, you will have to choose between the free trial and the current promotion.
Extra QuickBooks Online Payroll Costs & Fees
Intuit QuickBooks Online Payroll does have some additional costs per month, depending on your small business needs:
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance: Most businesses with one or more employees across the 50 states will need workers’ compensation as a legal business requirement. Intuit partners with AP Intego’s pay-as-you-go workers’ compensation insurance. There is a $5 monthly fee to use this service. Premiums for workers’ comp will depend on how many employees you have and what type of business you operate.
- QuickBooks Online Plan: Choose from Simple Start, Essential, Plus, and Advanced plans that track income expenses, sales, and sales tax. This cloud-based accounting software also creates invoices, accepts payments, and maximizes tax deductions. Pricing starts at $30/month.
- Labor Law Poster Subscription Service: All businesses that have an employee or contractor working for them must display or have available all appropriate labor law posters. Posting this information is a legal requirement, but staying on top of new regulations and changes can be tedious for business owners. Payroll customers can access the labor law posters for their state through an add-on subscription, and QuickBooks will send new posters as needed.
- E-File 1099s: This service helps prepare, send, and e-file your 1099s via an auto-fill from your Intuit QuickBooks Online Payroll information. This additional service is available for $14. You can also order tax forms and other business forms, such as checks, directly through QuickBooks.
- Multistate Processing Fees: If you process payroll for people in different states, you can expect to pay a $12 processing fee per state.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: QuickBooks partners with Simply Insured to offer health benefits options to your team.
Which QuickBooks Online Payroll Pricing Plan Is Right For You?
Your budget and the amount of work you want to put into your payroll can help you decide which QBO Payroll plan is right for you. At the Core pricing level, the automated tax filings, basic reporting features, and basic benefits management programs are enough to help a small business with a handful of employees. As a business grows and the HR requirements increase, the offerings at the Premium and Elite levels may align better.
The tax penalty protection at the Elite level is a great added layer of security, and it comes partnered with a white glove/curated experience for business owners short on time. If your company does not have a bookkeeper, accountant, or HR team in charge of payroll and benefits management, QuickBooks can keep your payroll seamless while offering tools to meet those other needs.
Choose The Intuit Online Payroll Core Plan If…
- You’re a small business owner with traditional payroll needs
- You have a limited number of employees and want to use direct deposit
- Your small business needs tax support
Choose The Intuit Online Payroll Premium Plan If…
- You need automated payroll
- Your small to mid-sized business needs HR support
- Expanded customer service is important
Choose The Intuit Online Payroll Elite Plan If…
- You have a larger business with more extensive HR needs
- You are interested in a customized set-up
- You need tax penalty protection
Are There Cheaper Options Than Intuit Online Payroll?
While QuickBooks Online is a reputable company with plenty of features, there are plenty of alternatives to QuickBooks for payroll support that you can find for cheaper. Here are a few of our top choices.
Gusto offers affordable payroll services with basic reporting, onboarding, and health insurance administration with all of its plans. The Simple plan starts at just $40/month + $6/month per person, and its Plus plan starts at $80/month + $12/month per person. There is also a Premium plan that utilizes custom pricing.
There are additional add-ons, such as health benefits, 401(k) plans, and college savings plans, that you can sign up for as well.
Along with a point of sale platform and payment processing, Square also offers a payroll service. If you are only paying independent contractors, you pay $6/month per contractor on your payroll. If you have employees as well, you pay $35/month plus $6 per employee/month.
There are no contracts, and you can also add additional features, such as health benefits, 401(k), and workers’ compensation.
One final thing to note is that budget shouldn’t be the only determining factor in selecting your payroll software. Software with more advanced features, such as ADP, might be a better fit, so make sure to do your research before deciding which payroll option is right for your business.
How To Add Intuit Online Payroll To Your QuickBooks Online Account
When you’re ready to set up and run payroll in QuickBooks Online, you can sign up directly through the QuickBooks Online dashboard and select your subscription plan directly from there. After you answer a few basic questions, you can then start adding your employees. Here, you’ll add their information and pay rate along with withholdings, deductions, and other information. After that, you can add your worker’s comp policy and set up your payroll taxes. Finally, you can connect to your bank account and sign your tax forms. It seems complicated, but QuickBooks Online walks you through the entire process.