5 Great Wine-Friendly Point Of Sale Systems For Your Vineyard, Event Space, & Tasting Room
While so many industries struggled during the Covid-19 pandemic, the wine industry managed to hold steady, with an estimated 328.9 million cases sold in the United States alone. But to keep sales strong while so many restaurants were shuttering, wineries had to pivot, upping online sales directly to consumers. It also forced wineries to get creative with their event spaces by altering their tasting rooms and facilities to adhere to social distancing guidelines.
With the world slowly reopening and getting back to some semblance of normalcy, wineries could see a spike in both sales and visitors and need to prepare for whatever the next trend is within the industry. Here’s where an excellent wine-focused point of sale system can come in handy. You might be looking to make a change to your POS system for your winery. Or perhaps you have a new winery that’s just starting up. Either way, a system that can handle your complicated inventory, is easy for employees to learn, and that customers can use on your premises can be a huge time and money saver.
Fortunately, you have plenty of options when it comes to winery point of sale systems, and we’ll go over some of our favorites.
Read more below to learn why we chose these options.
Table of Contents
The 5 Best Winery POS & Management Software
Revel, Lightspeed, Upserve, Shopify, and WineDirect are among the best POS systems for wineries, featuring excellent inventory management, loyalty programs, and user-friendly interfaces at an affordable price.
Best for wineries with large inventories.
Revel is an excellent point of sale system for mid-sized or larger retailers and restaurants and starts with packages at $99/month. Revel also uses its own built-in processing, which is quote-based. It has an incredibly rich feature-set available for users with a back end that can be a little complicated at times. However, its overall interface is user-friendly, and the winery-friendly software features everything you might need to get started or expand. Revel is highly scalable and has enterprise packages available for businesses with multiple locations.
Specifically for wineries, Revel offers some useful features, such as:
- Online Ordering: Revel has upped its online ordering capabilities with Ordering XT, which features a customizable interface and the ability to add and update products quickly. You can also enable contactless pickup and import customer information.
- Loyalty: Revel has a solid loyalty feature, allowing customers to earn points for transactions, specific dollar amounts, or on specific items. You can also easily add and store customer information and craft promotions.
- Gift Cards: Bottles of wine are always a popular gift item, and Revel offers gift cards to make purchases easy to activate and process.
- Table Management: For larger wineries that may offer food or take reservations, Revel has tableside ordering options and wait-list management.
- Customer Relationship Management: Revel allows you to store customer information and add detailed notes on those customers’ preferences. Revel also lets you create newsletters and marketing campaigns.
- Inventory Wastage Management: Crucial for wineries selling tastings and full bottles, Revel has complex inventory management to precisely track what is in stock.
- Enterprise Capabilities: With larger wineries that may have multiple retail locations or tasting rooms, the ability to track and move inventory quickly and efficiently is exceedingly important, and Revel is highly scalable.
- Advanced inventory management
- Robust reporting
- Back end can be slightly complex
- Need to sign a contract for the lowest price option
Jump back to comparison chart
Best for wineries looking for a practical, all-in-one system.
Lightspeed is one of our favorite all-around point of sale systems, as it has options specifically for retail and restaurant establishments. Depending on the services that your winery offers, either could be suitable for your needs. Lightspeed has an excellent eCommerce platform with built-in features such as appointments and loyalty and its own processing service, which has a flat rate of 2.6% + $0.10 per transaction.
Lightspeed Retail and Lightspeed Restaurant both have packages starting at $69/month with plenty of options for add-ons. You can also choose to pay month-to-month, although you get the lowest price if you pay for a year.
Some of the features Lightspeed has to offer that can help your winery include:
- Extensive Loyalty: Lightspeed offers a point-based loyalty program that can reward your top customers. It also allows you to create and edit customer profiles, and you can let customers create their own wish lists.
- Simple Shipping: Selling online is key to a successful winery. Lightspeed shipping allows customers to track their orders online, and it integrates with some of the top shipping apps.
- Online Store Creation: If you’re just getting into online selling, Lightspeed makes the set-up process easy, allowing you to choose from mobile-friendly templates that let you showcase your top products, and it provides support through the process to help customize your web presence.
- Appointments: Crucial for tasting rooms that can get busy on weekends, Lightspeed has appointment and scheduling capabilities with automatic reminders and confirmations to customers.
- Item Variants: A winery often sells bottles, tastings, and food offerings in different sizes. Lightspeed makes this complicated process easy with its detailed inventory tracking.
- Self Ordering: Lightspeed makes it easy to set up customer self-ordering, helping free up your employees if you have a restaurant or busy tasting room.
- All-in-one system
- Excellent eCommerce
- Retail and restaurant services
- Costs can add up
- Occasional outages
Jump back to comparison chart
KORONA CLOUD POS
Best for wineries looking for a traditional POS with winery-specific features.
KORONA is an affordable, feature-rich system, with plans starting at $49/month, that comes with some terrific features specifically geared toward wineries. KORONA is extremely versatile, suiting both retail and restaurant establishments. Plus, it integrates with a wide variety of credit card processors, so you’re not locked into one service, and you can find your best rate.
While KORONA isn’t the deepest POS system in terms of features, it has a strong core package and is a good option for many niche industries.
One of those industries is wineries, and here are a few features that could help yours:
- Inventory Management: KORONA has some intricate ways to manage what can be some tricky inventory needs, allowing you to keep all of your stock in one area, even if it’s being used in multiple locations.
- Wine Club Integration: Something many other POS companies don’t offer is a specific integration for wine clubs. KORONA integrates with bLoyal, which allows for interstate delivery and loyalty points.
- Delivery Options: Online beer and wine sales have increased dramatically in recent years. KORONA allows customers to make purchases for delivery directly from the POS system and check to see if their order is compliant with local laws.
- Automatic Updates: KORONA is excellent at updating its product to stay with current trends. Your subscription comes with automatic updates, ensuring that you have all of the latest features.
- Happy Hour Promotions: Essential for some wineries, KORONA makes setting up specials for happy hour simple for both customers and employees, providing discounts and promotions to entice more business.
- Table Service: Staying with current trends, KORONA has table service options, allowing employees to have more flexibility.
- Free trial
- Affordable options
- Tailored to wineries
- Lacks some advanced features
- Limited integrations
Jump back to comparison chart
Best for wineries with extensive online ordering needs.
Shopify is probably best known for its excellent eCommerce platform, but its point of sale system, which conveniently syncs with its eCommerce offering, has made considerable strides in recent years as well.
Shopify plans that include its online store start at $29/month; the best processing rates come with the $79/month plan. Those rates, which are through Shopify Payments, are 2.5% plus no additional fee for in-person payments and 2.6% plus $0.30 for online purchases.
Shopify is powerful for retail stores and can handle small food service establishments, such as tasting rooms, although it’s not suitable for full-service restaurants.
With that said, here are a few features that can specifically help your winery:
- Multiple Sales Channels: Sell online through Shopify or sell from your website. With the “Buy Button” feature, you can embed a link that will allow customers to purchase your products through your site (WordPress, Tumblr, Wix, etc.) quickly and easily. You can also sell on Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, Amazon, and eBay.
- Custom Sales: Custom line items can be added at any time and priced however you wish. This is a perfect way to integrate wine specials or seasonal bottles into your usual stock.
- Portable Registers: Because Shopify POS lives on your iPad or smartphone, it’s easy to bring the device over to your customer and accept new orders anywhere, something that can be a nice personal touch for a winery or tasting room.
- Automatic Tax Calculations: When selling alcohol, taxes can get tricky. Shopify POS automatically calculates sales tax based on the location of your store. You can also set up custom taxes for specific products or orders, if necessary.
- Inventory Organization: Shopify puts no limit on the number or type of items you can sell with this POS system, and products can be organized in almost any way (by category, type, season, sale, etc.). You can even create collections and sort merchandise by the vendor, price, and inventory level. Even more importantly, you can offer multiple sizes, materials, and color options for your products, each with its own price, weight, SKU number, and so forth.
- Multichannel Sales Management: Manage offline and online sales in one central hub that includes an omnichannel search of all your products.
- eCommerce platform
- Strong gift card functionality
- Multiple integrations
- Weak offline mode
- Add-ons can add up
Jump back to comparison chart
Best for extensive wine club management.
As you might expect, WineDirect is a point of sale system created specifically for wine sellers and wineries. It has packages that start at $79/month +2% of sales, which includes its full feature set. WineDirect is iOS based and comes with loyalty and eCommerce integrations, plus detailed reporting and some useful starter templates for selling online.
WineDirect is currently used in nearly 2,000 wineries and is a fully mobile system with built-in marketing. It also has its own built-in payment processing and boasts competitive rates, although they are not listed on its website.
Clearly, WineDirect is tailor-made for high-volume wine sellers, but here are a few more highlights:
- Wine Club: WineDirect has extensive Wine Club management, featuring real-time reporting and personalized ordering. It also comes with custom loyalty, allowing customers to rack up points for rewards.
- Customer Data Capture: Add and store valuable customer information, allowing for follow-up marketing campaigns and better future service.
- WineDirect App: You can run your entire business remotely with updates coming in real-time on your mobile device; track sales and inventory while you’re on the go.
- Mobile Ordering: WineDirect also makes it easy to make sales from anywhere, allowing customers or employees to sell tableside or move around a facility, increasing sales and efficiency.
- Integrated eCommerce: Included in all of its plans, WineDirect has a convenient shopping cart with upselling tools and templates to choose from to fit your style.
- Fulfillment: Available to wineries in Oregon and California, WineDirect boasts 99.98% accuracy and comes with gifting options and temperature control.
- Specifically made for wineries
- Built-in payments
- Strong eCommerce
- Fulfillment is only available for Oregon and California wineries
Jump back to comparison chart
6 Features To Look For In A Wine-Centric POS System
Now that you’ve looked at some of our top choices for wine point of sale systems, you may need some help narrowing it down. If you’re in the market for a winery POS system, here are some important features that you’ll want to prioritize.
Wine connoisseurs may have a reputation for being picky, but when they find something they like, they also provide plenty of repeat business. That’s why being able to win them over quickly is essential, and having a strong loyalty package is a great way to accomplish this goal. A loyalty program that allows customers to rack up rewards in multiple ways that they can keep track of easily helps them feel invested and more likely to return to make more purchases.
Especially if you have a tasting room, you will likely be selling your product in many different sizes, not to mention if you’re selling food products, gift baskets, or other souvenirs. It’s important to have variants to accurately track your inventory and quickly and easily set different pricing amounts.
Selling alcohol can be a tricky business, and there are many regulations and taxes that come with the territory. Having a point of sale system that can track these various rates and do much of the math and organization for you can save you massive headaches.
A personal touch goes a long way in the wine business. You want your employees to have as much flexibility as possible to make a connection with your customers and, more importantly, to make a sale. Having a point of sale system that is easy to use and handle and can be carried around a venue, allowing someone to make quick sales from anywhere, can dramatically boost your revenue.
Having a great wine inventory management system is a no-brainer for wineries, but you’ll want to make sure that your point of sale system has excellent ingredient tracking and real-time reporting. This way, you can keep tabs on exactly how much of your product you have on hand and cut down on waste.
While many point of sale systems have built-in eCommerce or integrate with a strong platform, having a website that is sleek and easy to navigate both for customers and you as a business owner is essential. Wine sales have continued to increase online worldwide, and you want to make it as easy as possible for your customer to find your products and purchase them.
Look For Add-Ons For Your Winery POS
Now that you have the basics figured out, making sure your POS system has extensive winery management software and a superb eCommerce platform, etc., you might also want to check out what the software offers in the way of add-ons or integrations. Some companies are better than others when it comes to syncing up with additional products that can either help your winery run more efficiently or give it a unique flare.
Some POS companies have their own version of an app store, while others have integrations that you can activate through your POS system. For wineries, there are specific programs that can help with your inventory, storing and tracking thousands of bottles in your cellar. Some apps can enhance your customers’ experience with tastings, rewarding them for sampling or purchasing a variety of wines. Others can help streamline your delivery process and online purchasing.
It’s definitely worth seeing what winery POS systems can provide you in terms of some of these “bonus features.”
Which Winery Point Of Sale System Is Right For Me?
Hopefully, you can now see how choosing the right point of sale system for your winery has a huge impact on how successful your business ultimately is. While there are multiple good options out there, you probably want to narrow your choices to one that has specific features for wineries. But which one is right for you?
The above choices are all high-quality products that each excel in different ways. Prioritize the things that are most important to you. Do you have multiple locations? How extensive is your foodservice? How detailed are your inventory needs? And, of course, what’s my budget?
Once you’ve figured out what’s most important for your winery POS, you can start to hone in on the system that best meets those needs. Good luck!
In Summary: The 5 Best Winery POS & Management Software
- Revel POS: Best for wineries with large inventories.
- Lightspeed POS: Best for wineries looking for a practical, all-in-one system.
- KORONA CLOUD POS: Best for wineries looking for a traditional POS with winery-specific features.
- Shopify POS: Best for wineries with extensive online ordering needs.
- WineDirect: Best for extensive wine club management.